View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 11:45 PM   #3
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empach View Post
I've been playing the Beta and there's a couple questions that I'd like to ask.

1. How do you think the star ratings translate to player abilities? Using the NHL would it be something like this:

5 = Star
4 = First Liner / Top Pair D / Number 1 Goalie
3 = Second and Third Liners / Second Pair D / Solid Backup
2 = Four Liners / Third Pair D / Backup / Minors
1 = Minors

Something like that maybe?
Yeah, in very general terms that's pretty much it. (Edit: I should add that's how it should be - I don't think the game is doing a great job of accurately assigning those stars right now.)

Quote:
2. Are the Potential ratings always accurate and final? By that I mean if I have a prospect, for example let's say Yakupov, and I look and he has a 4 Star potential, what does that mean?

-Will he have that potential every game I play? Or does it vary like EHM's random potentials?
Every game; after a long time working with those random potentials, I came to the conclusion that they cause too many problems. So the FHM potentials are fixed...to start with. I don't think Malte's implemented it yet, but potentials will be subject to semi-random changes. I think that'll do a much better job of modeling the way player development actually works.

Quote:
-Within a single game is that rating always accurate. If I have a poor scout could he give me an inaccurate read on a prospect, over or under rating him?
Yes, that's exactly the way scouting works - a poor scout, or one operating outside of his usual region (which aren't set in the database yet) will get more inaccurate results.

Quote:
Within a single game does a player's potential ever change? Essentially will we ever have late bloomers?
Yup, see the answer about random potentials above.

Quote:
These questions could apply to current Ability as well.
I should probably point out another difference between EHM and FHM here: there's no all-encompassing "current ability" number. There are separate groups of attributes (physical/defensive/mental/offensive for skaters, goalie/mental for goaltenders) that each have a total rating. That makes it a little easier to model players like the minor league star that never makes it in the NHL, and to rate different types of league with more accuracy. The KHL and AHL can have similar levels of goaltending, but at the same time the offensive skills of KHL's top-end scorers can be noticeably higher.

The whole system can be difficult for a researcher to grasp at first (and the way I've set up the research guidelines doesn't make it much easier), and it's definitely going to need some fine-tuning, but we're starting to see some good end results already. Once the game's stable enough to get a lot of people playing long-term games, I'm looking forward to getting feedback about where it needs work.

Last edited by JeffR; 03-08-2013 at 11:46 PM.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote