View Single Post
Old 08-16-2011, 04:55 AM   #24
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottom Of The Sixth View Post
Welcome to the world of OOTP, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot!

Are you aware of what you are getting yourself into? I hope for your sake you are single. If you are currently married, you won't be for long!

Meet the new love of your life: OOTP12

OOTP is the best baseball game out there and it can be as easy or as difficult as you want to make it.

Since you are just starting out, the less "extras" you have "on", the easier it is going to be for you. So while starting out, try to have fun, learn, and keep it simple.

If you are not aware of it, baseball has a language all its own. It uses words and phrases that you won't see anywhere else. Below I have added two links to websites that describe these terms and phrases. You may find that the description from one site, makes more sense to you than the description from another. If you would like more, all you have to do is a Google search.

Baseball Terms

Baseball Terms, Slang and Lingo | Learn at Baseball Tips.com

Good Luck!
Thanks for the welcome & links!
I'm married 10 years so far and have somehow managed to succesfully straddle the fine line between marital harmony and game time. Although my wife did suggest on our recent anniversary dinner that I should've brought my computer to dinner as well.

Still slowly learning the game, watching a bit of baseball. It's going to take some time, but I am enjoying the game, even though at present I'm really mainly undertaking general manager duties and the occasional roster or match day decisions.

The one area of the game I am still really struggling with is how to identify talented guys, and how soon should I promote them through the various minor leagues.

The identification of talent is difficult and I seem to draft a significantly high proportion of busts, they have 5 star potential on draft day but mostly (and I'm talking about 70% of these guys) turn out to be complete total spuds' with 1 star ratings after a season or two. Often I will find my scouting director recommending some guy rated 1 star current & 1 star potential, when there is at the same position another guy my scout has already advised has a 4 or 5 star potential. I find this somewhat confusing.

The main way I end up securing good young talent coming through is not through my Major League Scout signing players, but via my Minor League teams independently signing young players.

I also then struggle with watching the guys on my team who appear to have huge potential languish in the bottom of the minor's for 3 years, putting up solid numbers in the short season league, but rarely getting a gig higher up.
Is the Computer AI very conservative about promoting players? Or is there a real danger of promoting a player before he is ready and thus stunting or actually harming his potential?

In the meantime whilst I have 4 potential 5 star young pitchers between 18-21 yrs of age kicking their heels in the lower depths of the minor's my scouting director has no problem trading a couple of good young kids for some 35 yr old 1 star rated, burned out veteran pitcher, who ends up haemorrhaging home runs.
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote