View Single Post
Old 08-03-2018, 12:47 PM   #1
bsuball41
Bat Boy

Awarding wins to relief pitchers when starter doesn't go five

From the MLB rulebook: "If the pitcher whose team assumes a lead while such pitcher is in the game, or during the inning on offense in which such pitcher is removed from the game, and does not relinquish such lead, is a starting pitcher who has not completed five innings of a game that lasts five innings on defense, then the official scorer shall credit as the winning pitcher the relief pitcher, if there is only one relief pitcher, or the relief pitcher who, in the official scorer's judgment was the most effective, if there is more than one relief pitcher."

This from a game today. Oakland scored four in the first and led the rest of the way. Jefferies threw 2 2/3 then got hurt, which put the above rule into effect. I think most would consider either Wendelken or maybe Lawrence as the "most effective relief pitcher" but the win was given to Holmes?

In this instance, could there be some sort of simple calculation made to determine the most effective relief pitcher rather than giving it to Holmes solely because (I'm assuming) he was the first pitcher to follow Jefferies?

Could the calculation be as simple as using the same Game Score calculation that is listed for each game's starting pitcher? I don't know exactly what that calculation is so I can't test it for this particular game to see who the win would be awarded to.
bsuball41 is offline   Reply With Quote