View Single Post
Old 07-27-2014, 02:16 AM   #54
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
I've been helping someone on the OOTP 15 Steam forum who is learning about the sport while playing OOTP, and he was looking for some good books to read. I gave him the link to this thread since there are many great online resources in the OP, but how about books? Can anyone suggest any good books he should read about stats, strategy, etc.?

Thanks.
IMO he should read this first

Watching Baseball Smarter: A Professional Fan's Guide for Beginners, Semi-experts, and Deeply Serious Geeks, by Zack Hample

And this second

Sabermetrics 101: Wrap-Up (And Announcement!) - Lookout Landing

After that, two books

1. The Book: Playing the Percentages in Baseball, by Tom M. Tango (Author), Mitchel Lichtman (Author), Andrew Dolphin (Author), Pete Palmer (Foreword)

2. Baseball Between the Numbers: Why Everything You Know About the Game Is Wrong, by Baseball Prospectus

At that point he will know more than some managers and GMs do.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote