View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 10:59 PM   #208
stevem810
All Star Starter

From the Journal of Julien Henri

April 1, 1971

I can hardly believe it. It was just last fall that I watched Le Diamant celebrate another championship. The fourth in five years, but, the first one without Herve and I. Once we were eliminated I was pulling for the guys to win it as there was no way I wanted to see the Snake Eyes win it.

Yet it was bitter sweet when the Diamonds finished them off in seven. Yes, I was happy, but, oh how I wanted to be in that locker room. Nothing can beat the feeling of holding the Francais Baseball League trophy in your hands.

I don't deny that the Most Valuable Player Award was nice, but it can't touch the accomplishment of a championship. The award is a bunch of writers deciding who is the best. The players know that the on the field last game of the year, 'last man standing' is what it's all about.

My goals are simple for this season. I want to stay healthy, pitch every 5th day, or whenever called upon, up my offensive numbers, but, above all, it is to be the the 'last man standing'. My dream would be to pitch game 7 of the championship.

Getting back to the part that I can't believe. When I woke up last fall and read we signed both Laurant and Mathieu, my mind was blown. Mathieu and I practically grew up together in the FBL and I learned so much from Laurant about leadership, maturity, and how to win ball games. The guy competes at such a high level. Looking out on the field and seeing him in RF, or 3B, wherever, just inspires you to play your best.

All spring with Herve, Mathieu, and Laurant in the same line up I felt like we were going to win every game. Coming to the park is going to be so much fun. I don't talk to the press about it, but last year was a downer. I mean the team made the best of it as we did make the playoffs. During the waiver fiasco the team just seem to slump. Thankfully, Mr. Rambaud intervened just in time and I stayed an Artist.

But, that's in the past and along with getting the two former Diamonds, I'm looking forward to another year of Juhan in RF. He hit .293 with 10 homers, but it was his defense that sparkled. He's at his best in RF covering ground, but he also nailed 12 base runners from the CF position.

Bob Proust will probably spell Laurant at 3b and play some 1b, too. He's probably too good to not play every day so it will be interesting to see what BC Joel Meyer does with his 16 HR bat. Like I said, too good to ride the pine.

Fabrice Nicolle had a 2.80 ERA and went 9-9 for the Golden Orioles in AAA. This guy had four appearances in S.T. and he didn't give up any runs. He didn't give up any hits! So, yeah, I'm looking to see him at the mid-rotation/bottom sooner than later. He can really give this team a boost. He brings it at 96-98, too.

Tony Escudero is considered our #1 pitching prospect. He's just 21 and wasn't invited to spring training. But, it's possible we may see him when rosters expand, at least that's what I hear. Tony had 3.86 ERA in 18 games and definitely works deep into most games. 92-94, over the top, and he gets a lot of ground balls. So, yeah, looking forward to seeing him, too.

Well, we play Le Mourne Rouge later tonight in Martinique. We expect a lot of fans from the Le Diamant area to make the drive up to Le Mourne Rouge to see the former Le Diamant players in uniform.

I had a pretty good spring on the mound so the team is going to have me pitch the opener. Awesome, I say, just awesome.

Just realized it was eleven years ago today that as a 16 year old I was ranked the #1 prospect of the FBL. Wow.
Attached Images

Last edited by stevem810; 09-12-2019 at 10:36 AM.
stevem810 is offline   Reply With Quote