View Single Post
Old 05-21-2019, 06:06 PM   #70
stevem810
All Star Starter

My Off Season

From the Journal of Julien Henri

I learned a lot about pro ball last season. Coach Benoit promised me I would have learned a lot more had we lost the first round of the playoffs. I didn't get what he meant until he explained.

Coach said that sometimes players, especially young ones, who win the title at such a young age begin to take winning for granted. The talent level so thick on Le Diamant, that it offers up a false sense of security as in believing that we are 'too good' to lose. Players forget the work they put into getting to that level, and take their foot of the accelerator in such a small way that they don't even realize it.

Had we lost, he explained, we would have asked a lot of questions of ourselves. Which makes, sense, I guess. I thought about it through the winter months and made sure to keep my routines in check. I ate well, did stretching, played some tennis, and even tried a little yoga. At first I didn't thing the latter was for me, but, the stretching felt really good especially in my arms and torso.

I was honored to receive the MVP Award after being named runner up the previous season. It's not something that I go for, or have as a goal. My goals are pretty simple. Keep improving the process and preparation. The numbers will follow.

Changing gears, I've heard some talk about expansion to another French territory, possibly Guadeloupe. It has a population of about 400,000. Football (soccer) is the biggest sport on the island, but, I know it's being looked at for down the road.

Free Agency is two years away for me, after this season. Just one, for Herve. We've talked about where we'd like to play when our contracts are up. We love playing for the Diamonds. At the same time, we both might like to entertain Paris as a next stop. Unlike baseball in the states, we are free to play wherever we want once we've reached free agent status. But, that is down the road. We've got a three-peat to go for and we intend to get it done.

I'm saving this pic of the yoga pants they surprised me with the first day of class. Pretty crazy, eh?
Attached Images

Last edited by stevem810; 05-24-2019 at 09:54 PM.
stevem810 is offline   Reply With Quote