View Single Post
Old 05-02-2019, 11:44 AM   #20
HerbD
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWatcher View Post
A few reactions:
1) Boy that David Howard kid is quite the beefy catcher. Wait, am I reading this right? He's 39 years old. Such a baby face. But I can't imagine him squatting behind a plate for the last 20 years or more at his size. (And 7 Gold Gloves I see from the earlier post here about Howard. Impressive.) Of course, if I was a runner I wouldn't be in a hurry to crash the plate.
2) Speaking of guys I wouldn't want to run into, that Roger Picot looks like a guy I'd try to avoid meeting in a dark alley.
3) On the other hand, Mr. Sirrell looks like someone you could enjoy having a beer with.
4) And what's with Stewart Jenkins? Is he angry about something (or perplexed)? Or just dealing with an unresolved case of constipation?

I love Facegen especially in a fictional context as I have no preconceptions about the players but totally start to create stories in my head about them based upon how they look. Which can be a problem too. Sometimes you have that prospect who just looks like your idea of what a big league baseball superstar looks like and you might over-estimate him a bit just based upon the look. (Dax Palmer- that guy has the superstar look to my eye. And probably Mark Wells, too.) And others might just not look the part but have all the talent.
Still, just makes the immersion all that much deeper and richer in my estimation.
I'm surprised myself that Howard has not been moved to 1B but he's still doing well behind the plate despite his size. And he can still hit, .383 so far in 2019. I agree with your thoughts on facegen...I love it, especially for fictional. It ranges from realistic to downright funny, just like real life ballplayers.