View Single Post
Old 03-02-2019, 06:31 PM   #19
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster007 View Post
It's a concept I may try. How tough was it to start and get each team a full roster? I noticed you mentioned you had a catcher shortage in one post. I assume you don't draft and in commissioner mode just go down the player list and assign players to the appropriate team. The biggest hurdle to me seems to be the inaugural season to insure each team has a 25 man roster and enough reserves to cover injuries.

One more question: When you mention above you delete 130 players I assume that has to be prior to draft day for them to reappear? I didn't know that a player could reappear.

Whether I give this a go or not enjoying following here.
The inaugural draft was a lot of work, mainly researching the histories of many players I'd barely (or never) heard of before. When you consider there having been ~20k players in MLB history, there are a lot of obscure cuppa coffee types.

There were something like 1100-1200 players in the inaugural draft and I didn't have that much trouble getting at least 30 players on each franchise (30 x 26 teams = 780). The positional depth did leave a little to be desired. Catching depth can be an issue but you can most likely get at least 2-3 on each team if you plan better than I did.

I have established, I think, that deleted players (I actually delete them after they go undrafted and become free agents) do seem to reappear in subsequent drafts. Which is kind of cool. If a player didn't fit one year, he's not gone forever.

Knowing what I now know...I'd probably beef up the inaugural draft a few rounds to produce maybe 1500 players to give a little more cushion. I'd also do as you say and use the editor to place players instead of drafting them (which is what I did).

Another thing you touched on was injuries. I thought about this and decided to handle it by turning the injuries down to low in the first year and I decreased the fatigue level as well. As teams have gained more depth I have been returning those toggles back to where I like them.
waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote