View Single Post
Old 01-04-2019, 02:56 PM   #6
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29 View Post
Going into OOTP, I realized it might not be for me, but the five dollar price made it worth taking a chance. I have PC Replay, so I'm looking for OOTP to be like that.

I did figure out how to autoplay a past season. It was 1971 and the overall numbers were good. I couldn't find a way to view real stats and the replay stats together. Looking at Baltimore, Frank Robinson was nowhere to be found.

I still don't know how to create a fictional league with real players on stock teams. Say, a league with the Indians teams from their 90s playoff run.
Ah, it's been awhile since I played the PC version of Replay but I was quite a big Replay gamer for awhile.
While I wouldn't say that OOTP and the PC version of Replay (or SOM, etc.) are apples and oranges, they might be oranges and grapefruits.
There are settings and approaches that one can use in OOTP to simulate real-life MLB with great accuracy but this isn't the game's real wheelhouse. For me it is all of the extra stuff that OOTP includes, which largely does mean all of that GM/financials stuff that you may not be interested in, that have led me to become pretty obsessed with this game.
And don't get me wrong- I love Replay and what Pete has done with that game.
OOTP is just not really a one-to-one replacement for that. My suggestion would be to maybe look at OOTP as another color of baseball simulation to add to your palette.

For me it has been a steal at $40 and probably the best investment of $40 I've made in my life. But that implies no criticism of you if you end up feeling like this was $5 wasted. OOTP isn't going to scratch everybody's itch.

As for the more specific issues you mention here- like creating a fictional league with real players- well, I'm quite sure that can be done but since it isn't a way that I have played the game I will let someone with more experience walk you through that.

I hope that you hang in there a bit with the game so that you can at least get your $5 worth out of it. As a former Replay-er who still has much fondness for that game (particularly in the cards and dice form), I am absolutely convinced that if you give OOTP a chance on its terms you will find it to be a fabulous baseball management simulation.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote