View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 01:46 PM   #15
BigBoyBrackey
All Star Reserve

A few notes ...

First, thank you to the commenters for the kind words above. I've enjoyed the work of all of you over the past couple of years, and will start commenting elsewhere, as well, now that I've finally gotten registered and all that. Thanks again for welcoming me into a pretty cool club.

---I'm still working out details of how all this will work, exactly, such as whether to sim all relevant heavyweight bouts, or let some historical results stand. Before long, I expect circumstances will force deviation from the real life schedule.

For instance, the real Greg Page suffered his first lost almost exactly one year after stopping Evangelista, when he broke a thumb early and lost a split decision to Trevor Berbick on the Holmes-Cooney undercard (hmmm ... I wonder if possibly not being the focus of a blatantly race-baiting promotion and its aftermath might have an impact on Gerry's development ...).

After the defeat, Page treaded water for the following year, beating the likes of James Tillis, Larry Frazier and Renaldo Snipes rather than getting a title shot, which was not to come until nearly two years after the loss to Berbick.

If he gets by Berbick in the sim (and doesn't lose before that), maybe he gets his chance sooner. Or maybe not.

---Non-heavyweight fights are another matter to consider. Sugar Ray Leonard might not be too happy with Dundee training Page for a bout just 13 days before he steps up to challenge Ayub Kalule for a 154-pound belt.

Not sure yet, but I'm thinking I'll sim some superfights that really took place (Leonard-Hearns is only a few months away, and I'm not sure I can pass that one up) -- as well as the occasional more mundane, but still intriguing matchup -- and let the historical record stand elsewhere, in order to keep this from getting completely out of hand.

---I'm also not sure about whether/how to best tweak ratings for the fighters I'm going to presume were kept down by King's unique entrepreneurial style. Up until now, I've only used the ratings in the game or provided on these boards and on cornerwork, etc.

But the present ratings for Page, Dokes, etc. account for the slovenly training habits, drug abuse issues and general psychic turmoil brought about at least in part by King. It seems to make sense to try mitigating some of those issues. I think. So please feel free to offer up any pointers, past experiences, etc., on this or any other topic.

---Up until this point, the quotes have been heard only within my own mind. But there's too much great Don King verbiage out there not to incorporate some of his bon mots, customized to fit the circumstances of Greg's World. Just wanted to get that out there so nobody thinks I'm stealing from the undisputed champion of self-promotion without affording proper credit.

Coming up: Larry Holmes headlines King's half-hearted "Tribute to Joe Louis" by defending his World Boxing Council heavyweight crown against former world champion Leon Spinks.
BigBoyBrackey is offline   Reply With Quote