View Single Post
Old 07-28-2008, 09:46 AM   #54
Thunder
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djday45 View Post
My advice is dont get caught up in formulas and calculations rating fighters in this game is much more than a science. It's what "feels" right that you feel in your bones thats what the fighter was like.

Now the more you research fighters and boxing in general you will find its a game of opinions, sometimes flatly contradictory ones lol.

My other golden rules is to test, test and test your ratings again and again.
But and here is the other killer it is very very easy to make many fighters very very average so to make it possible to account for very weird results in their careers, that is a mistake.

Take for example the Hart-Johnson result, now as I have rated them their is very little chance of their historical result being repeated as it should be, this does not mean that Hart is badly underated or Johnson the opposite, sometimes especially in boxings distant past results are just unexplainable apart from looking at more dubious answers.
I think it is presumptuous to give someone advice who didn't ask for any.

I also find this to be a bit contradictory itself. You say "feel" is more more important than science in the game, but then go on to say how important testing (science) is.

It's all a mathematical representation of boxing, thus I would say the science is the important bit. I suppose the expected performance would involve some "feel", but there's a lot of logic and science to the whole package.

I have run millions of rounds to test various theories about how the game system works . .what effect does two points of HP have? what percentage of wins does a fighter of one level get against others? Does KO: 0 really do as much as it should?
I don't need to be talked down to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by professordp View Post
Wiser words were never spoken!
I suppose I don't need to do this given the rest of this post, but I obviously don't agree.

Last edited by Thunder; 07-28-2008 at 10:10 AM. Reason: typo
Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote