View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #13
landru22
Major Leagues

[QUOTE=Bluenoser;3264104]Guys like Schultz, Gillies, McSorely, Semenko were there for one reason and one reason only - to beat people up when they went near a Gretzky or a Bossy or a MacLeish/Leach type player - they couldn't play hockey, they played hackey. Sure, they racked up some points. Put me on a line with Gretzky and I'll rack up points too, even though I don't have anywhere near the skill level to play in the NHL. We can just agree to disagree on that issue.

I'm sorry. I know this has really nothing to do with the real discussion here, but I have to stop you all here for a second. Clark Gillies, in no way whatsoever, should be mentioned in the same breath with players like Schultz. McSorely, or Semenko. Clark Gillies was not a fighter. Yes, when he was called upon to be one, he was possibly the best damn fighter in the league, but he was reluctant to do so. Clark Gillies was a pretty darn good goal scorer who played a disciplined game up and down his wing. He was inducted in the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2002. I don't think you will find the other players mentioned above in the HOF.
landru22 is offline   Reply With Quote