View Single Post
Old 02-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
sprague
All Star Starter

I didn't start this thread to get into a discussion about how hockey is or should be played, or whether someone likes or dislikes fighting and tough play

I started it to say it IS, and especially WAS a part of the game. All of the computer attempts out there have ignored this issue and this area of the game. Most games just try to tack on penalty minutes for players by giving them a bunch of misconducts, which is not realistic.
These players were on their teams for a reason. Even back to 1930's. The Leafs made sure Red Horner was on the ice every time Eddie Shore was- ok they played 50 minutes a night back then, but the point was, when one was on, the other was on. just in case

It was a factor in the game, and should be a factor or at least the option of being a factor. I like you could turn them on or off as needed. But again, if i play a 7 game series between Montreal-Quebec or Emonton-Calgary in the 80;s or Montreal-Toronto in the 40's, there should be a chace the benches empty in the course of that series for example.

As a former professional player and coach I feel I have a good idea of how things go. Sometimes a fight does really nothing to the flow of a game. Other times, it can literally change the entire game. Down 2-0, our team wins a fight, even getting an extra penatly the players have a new adrenaline, we kill it off, then bang score 2 quick goals to tie it up

This is the #1 thing missing in ALL games out there, and is why hockey historians that I know like myself do not play any comptuer version out there- no game is realistic.
I started this thread with the hope that the group who has taken this project will keep up the great work put into ootp baseball, and made it a bang up game...
This not to make a hockey game based on how you WISH hockey was, but how hockey IS. Ted Lindsay, Bobby Clarke, John Ferguson and Chris Nilan all played roles on ther teams to win stanley cups, and part of it was physically. This needs to be represented here. Chris Nilan gets into 30 fights a year, but if somehow his ratings are so handicapped, and his winning fights of no value, then he will never play in the lineup, and that will make any season replay of that year unrealistic.
Realism=was things are.

One past said the op (me) overexagerated. A hockey game without factoring in fights and brawls is like a football game without punting or a baseball game without errors. They are there and are just as much of hockey as anything else. Personal opinions are not the issue, but the overall game product at the end. A great hockey game will touch on all areas of hockey- not just the ones that are the most pretty

As for the Russian Klm league- the biggest hockey brawls worldwide the last 3 years have all been in the russian league- take a browse on youtube if you don't believe me.
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote