View Single Post
Old 03-03-2019, 03:28 PM   #8
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezer View Post
Anyone have any advice on a laptop that is also decent for gaming (more than just OOTP). For OOTP 20 i want to be able to have it on a portable PC.
get an i5 or i7... doesn't have to be newest generation (you can tell intel gen by the number... 6600 8700 etc... 6000's and 8000's are different generations)

to give a reference -- i have a very old i7-2700k, not overclocked anymore. it's not been treated well, either. lots of video encoding and i have to change the thermal gel every ~3-6months due to the excess heat during use. i can't even let it run at 100% anymore with any encode that takes mor ethan 15minutes or it will overheat and shutdown. (actually due to a windows bug... some cpu would send core#0 into 100% utilization after waking from sleep and it damaged my chip's internal heat sync or something... ms owes me a cpu!)

even so, it can run any newer 3d game without problems. it's nearly 10 years old at this point. your video card will be the biggest thing relative to playing games. i ran madden 19 on the pc for a few hours the other night and it never went above ~60degrees. (encoding pushes upto ~80+ and can cause a shutdown due to heat as it rises higher)

--------------

so, make sure to get a laptop with a high-end video card and a somewhat recent generation of an i5 or i7, or it won't play advanced 3d games for very long... even iwth that maybe a 2-3 year window with a laptop? unless you can upgrade the GPU after that time.

which i5 or i7? i'd look up specs... and prices... find the one with the most cores you are wiling to pay for... then look up a gpu you want for your laptop...

start with parts and work backward to get the best.. gpu/cpu may all be integrated now? use to be able to get non-integrated gpu for laptops, but i think it's part of the cpu now? so, if the words i use are abit off, adapt it to laptop realities.

laptops are slow and expensive relative to what you get for gaming. ~$750-$1000 will probably last 2-3 years without issue playing 3d games. you'll be playing longer if you don't play the newest, badest 3d games possible... figure 5-7 in that baot. with ootp 3d graphics, figure ~20 years.

spending more lasts a little longer, but apply common sense.

spending more on an i7 cpu may not create teh same incremental benefit as spending more on the GPU. if you are into games, focus most heavily on the GPU, if making any concessions it should be elsewhere.

ram... 12-16 minimum for the system at this point. especially if you game. otherwise ~8 is fine for limited pc uses like web browsing and ootp. i'd shy away from the 2gb minimum... there are many system configs out-of-the-box that will likely run out of memory with just 2gb and ootp playing.

also, things are about to require more for 4k graphics. i wouldn't get a GPU with less than 6gb, preferably 8gb of VRAM. BUT, if the gpu can't play 4k graphics anyway, ~4gb is plenty for 1080p gaming.

some future proofing, but not elite...

get an i7 with 6-8 cores... not the BS hyperthreading nonsense. real cores. (only familiar with desktop, assume laptop cpu are upto ~6cores and higher now?) use the intel tech spec sheet or similar. compare the actual cpu models. google terminology you don't know.

get ~16gb ram, unless you run multiple clients for an mmor or something, that will be fine for any 1 game and various windows apps in background. you run 6-10 game clients and you'll need more.

get a nice GPU... if you want 4k gaming, you're going to spend top dollar. figure $300-500 for the laptop gpu? @ 1080p gaming you can get a nice desktop gpu for <$200. i don't know laptop gpu's at all... you will overspend and get less for sure, though. so, those are prices for a desktop gpu capable of 4k or 1080p gaming, respectively. expect 50-100 higher, i bet for similar capabilities for a laptop gpu price increase.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/

this is a good site to compare RL benchmarks. compare FPS of multiple games on same rigs etc etc... swap out one part and see the difference. is it worth it? etc etc... makes decisions easier when you can see RL results and can measure teh improvement and decide if it is worth it or not.

Last edited by NoOne; 03-03-2019 at 03:31 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote