View Single Post
Old 11-02-2019, 07:35 PM   #17
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Ah yes...I think you've talked about a RL minor league that was around in your area when you were a little guy, but I'm not sure if I'm getting that right or not. The Southern League? I can't remember, but combined with your avatar, it completely makes sense that you would prefer numbers from that time period. Lots of offense in 1950. Wowsers!

I was 14 for most of the 1984 season. It's not my favourite season though. That would be 1985. I just prefer 1984's stats for my games. I guess there's something about childhood that makes us think that that was the best baseball that ever was.

If you're going to use 1950, don't forget to make sure the BABIP is set to .280, and keep an eye on those pesky "Hook" settings that love to change when you import the season stats and modifiers that you want to use. You could also use 1950 strategy settings, so that things in your game behave like they did back then. Have fun with it, and let me know, either here (if krownroyal83 doesn't mind) or by PM how it's working for you. Cheers.
I was a big fan of the old Southern Association (1900-1961)… I did a replay of the seasons 1947, 1948 and 1949 using OOTPB... lived in New Orleans and often saw the Pelicans play at Pelican Stadium in the 1950s... also lived in Mobile and watched the Bears at Hartwell Field... I even got to be a ball boy in the right field bullpen and a clubhouse boy for the Bears around 1957 and 1958... got to know future major leaguers Gary Bell, Bill Dailey, Dick Stigman and Dick Brown.

Also had the pleasure to be a batboy one night for the visiting Chattanooga Lookouts... didn't know it at the time, but I got to speak to future Hall-of-Famer Harmon Killebrew four times that night... Gary Bell struck him out four times.

Harmon was a really nice guy... going up to bat the fourth time, he said to me, "What do you think I'm gonna do this time?"... diplomatically I said, "Get a hit?" … and he said, "No, I gonna take my three swings and call it a night!"

Here's a link to the Southern Association re-creations:
https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=267921

I got the day-to-day lineups and pitchers from the New Orleans Times-Picayune newspaper archives... manually created all of the players myself based on real stats taken from The Sporting News Baseball Guide for 1947 to 1949... sadly, there was glitch in the game and it fouled up the league... probably would be still be playing it.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 11-02-2019 at 11:31 PM.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote