View Single Post
Old 04-11-2019, 06:02 PM   #8
rink23
Hall Of Famer

Got the sweep of the Dodgers today in a bizarre 11-7 win.

Wacha stunk but it didn't matter as Walker Buehler may have been worse.
Harrison Bader twice got hit by pitches with the bases loaded.
Wieters had three RBIs in his first start.

JMartinez and TON a combined 6 for 10 with five runs scored.
Bullpen didn't allow a run in final 5.1 innings.
I still have fears about this team, but feel much better after the last four games.

As I have seen it is capable of playing above-average defense, situational hit and having a lockdown pen.

As for the Carpenter signing.
Carpenter is a conundrum.

He can carry a team at times and single handily keep you in a pennant race which he did last summer.
But he also can drive you nuts, with his I have to bat first and I'dr ather take a walk and then try to get the big hit attitude at the plate.
It drives me nuts when he takes a called third strike, and stares down the umpire like 'how dare you.'
The defense and bad back also are an issue.
But I really appreciate the OBP Carpenter gives you at the top of the order. But his lack of speed and below average base-running skills bother me in that role.
I'd rather see him protecting Goldschmidt at 2-3 or 3-4. Although DeJong is doing just fine.
If only he was mentally strong enough to do that.
There is also the issue is who leads off if Carpenter can adapt to another role. Wong? We'll have to see how this season plays out before heading that direction.
Anyway, the Cardinals have three young third baseman in the system -- Nolan Gorman (18, Class A Peoria), Macolm Nunez (18, no games in 2019) and Evan Mendoza (22, AA Springfield)- all of whom are at the earliest ticketed to be the in the majors in 2021.
With the option, that gives Carpenter two years as a starter and possibly a third if none of the young guys are ready.
If it's time for the kids, Carpenter could fill the DH role -- it's coming in 2020 or 2021 -- should the Cardinals opt to bring him back for that option season.

Last edited by rink23; 04-11-2019 at 06:05 PM.
rink23 is offline   Reply With Quote