View Single Post
Old 04-09-2019, 09:33 PM   #83
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DéjÃ* Bru View Post
I hear you. Why am I concerned about how the Yankees spend their money?

[Except, seriously, the aspect of tying up long-term salary room on free agents who are on the downhill of their careers.]

TBH, I myself forgot about Keuchel and was subsequently a bit amazed that he is still a free agent. He must have been asking for the moon and/or a couple of decades-worth of contract up until now.

Here's Rotowire's assessment of his situation:

He seems to be a durable workhorse, though. 200+ innings again last year and led the league in batters faced, 874 (also hits allowed, 211).

If Rosenthal is right about a one-year prorated deal for $18MM+ being acceptable, it might be worth a shot. No 10-year, $300MM nonsense, however.
Before I address your comments, the beautiful Meredith Marakovits has just reported that Sevy will be out for an additional SIX WEEKS with an injury unrelated to his inflamed rotator cuff. Best case scenario, we won't see him until some time just before the All-Star break. However, I'm starting to get the feeling (just a gut thing) that we won't see him until after the Break, if at all this season.

Yeah, worrying about the Yanks' financial footing is sort of like fretting over Jeff Bezos' divorce settlement. The Yanks practically print their own money. That said, I absolutely agree with you about not wanting to see the Yanks burdened with any A-Rod / Flopsbury-like contractual albatrosses.

Like you, I'm genuinely surprised that Keuchel is still available for all the reasons you listed, plus one more...he's a Yankee killer (Career 1.09 ERA against the Yanks including the playoffs). Therefore, if what Rosenthal reported is true, there's no reason on God's green earth not to sign him.

The Sox aren't going to stay on the mat forever. When they finally do get up, the Yanks will be in for a herculean fight, even if / when they're able to get their all their disabled players back in full force. IMO they just flat-out need Keuchel now.

Last edited by Caporegime; 04-09-2019 at 09:40 PM.
Caporegime is offline   Reply With Quote