View Single Post
Old 03-17-2018, 08:12 AM   #237
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 30th, 1986

Today the Pirates are in town. They are pitching Jose Deleon (1-1, 3.18).
The Giants have Bruce Ruffin (2-0, 2.42).

I have gone 3 for 9 vs DeLeon.

I am looking for a big day, both for me and the 8th win in a row for the team.

Maybe we can even catch the Dodgers today.

I got the 1st out of the game, throwing out Ozzie Smith as Bip Roberts advanced to 2nd on a hit & run. Bruce struck out the next two to deal with that.

I led off the bottom half by grounding out to Johnny Ray at 2nd.

I came up next in the 3rd with one out, Robby Thompson on 2nd and John Rabb on 1st. The first pitch wen thorough the wickets on Tony Pena to advance both runners on a wild pitch. I hit a liner that was caught by Ray again. Thankfully Kenny Oberkfell doubled behind me to score both of the guys I left there.

Giants lead 2-0.

In the 4th I snagged a grounder by Keith Moreland to get Fred Lynn at 2nd for the 2nd out.

In the bottom half Robby Thompson doubled home Mike Aldrete for our third run.

Giants lead 3-0.

The Pirates struck back in the 5th when Roberts tripled, scoring Jason Thompson from 1st.

Giants lead 3-1.

I led off the bottom half by grounding out to Keith Moreland at 3rd.

I got the 1st out in the 6th, snatching up a Johnny Ray grounder.

Nestor relieved Ruffin in the 7th, bringing in Willie Fraser to pitch and Steve Stanicek to play centre, in a double switch. Lee Mazzilli had also had some concerns with his elbow last inning anyway, which are probably nothing, but this was good timing.
Unfortunately, the first batter Willie faced was Jason Thompson, who put one into the right field bleachers with a man on. Tie game.

Game tied 3-3.

I came up in the bottom half with one out and Stanicek on 1st. I got the lead back by blasting one into the right field corner. Steve scored but I was thrown out trying to stretch my double into a triple.
That's okay. The important part still happened.

Giants lead 4-3.

And once again, our lead was erased by Pirate power as Fred Lynn hit a solo shot in the 8th to tie it back up.

Game tied 4-4.

Bottom of the 8th, Mike Aldrete says that two can play that game and he swats a solo homer to put us back up.

Giants lead 5-4.

Willie was lifted for a pinch hitter that inning so Jeff Robinson came in for the 9th to try and grab the save.
A hit, a balk, an error.... but then three straight strikeouts to close things up and give us our 8th straight win!

I went 1 for 4 with an RBI double.

We are 14-7 and are now in a three-way tie with the Dodgers and Reds for the top of the NL West!

There is a lot of baseball still to come, but this feels good!

We got word after the game that Mark Grant's elbow is sending him to the D.L. for about a month.

Bill Laskey was called up from Phoenix. Willie Fraser is taking Mark's spot in the rotation.

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote