View Single Post
Old 05-10-2019, 01:28 PM   #1
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

The Re-Themed "Chandler Memorials"

I've chosen a new theme for the Chandler Electrics, using players ONLY from 1950 and before. One thing I've learned which I will implement next version, is to limit myself to some kind of subset from the entire PT player database from the beginning. Allowing yourself use of the entire player list will accelerate you to Perfect Level, and ALSO require you to spend additional monies if you wish to actually win at that level.

Using a subset limits your choices, increases the difficulty, slows down your advance, and keeps more money in your pocket Even though next year's teams may spend a little, it will likely be limited to $10 a month (12,000 PPs). That's no more than $120 for the year and none of it all at once. That investment plus APs will be another restriction on me to build slower.

Next year my teams will be...

Chandler Memorials - Players prior to 1951. $10 per month investment maximum.

I thought it would be interesting to see if a team consisting of only early ballplayers could compete - and at what level. My limited investment will obviously mean I won't be able to buy the best players in this grouping, but that's ok since I don't feel compelled to reach Perfect Level. I've re-themed my current Chandler team so I can play this concept for the rest of this version as well.

Pontiac Starchiefs - Players 1947-1971. $10 per month investment maximum.

I picked this range of years specifically from my birth year to the year I got married. This is when I loved baseball to a fault, and was always disappointed because my parents wouldn't let me try to develop by high school baseball talent. This team will have all the players I loved to watch as a kid and young man.

Seattle Pilots - LIVE players only. Free-2-Play

It wouldn't be right not to play with the current LIVE players, so this team will allow me to do that. I picked the Seattle Pilots name because I don't expect to play any better than they did, 64-98, lol.

- - -

It's unlikely any of these teams will reach Perfect Level, and will thus be more fun to play with no more than $240 spent for the year. As other's have said, there's a thousand ways to play this game - you just have to find which is most enjoyable to you.

Getting started with my new Chandler Memorials, I thought I would introduce the team one position at a time. I've got the teams pretty much chosen and am currently training a couple players out of position and testing some theories on using pitchers that are basically all starters.

PS: I've also added real photos to the baseball cards I use in the Dynasty reports. I wish I could use them in the game...

First up; the Catchers

Walker Cooper - William Walker Cooper (January 8, 1915 – April 11, 1991) was a catcher in Major League Baseball who played for six National League teams from 1940 to 1957. He was known as one of the top catchers in baseball during the 1940s and early 1950s. His elder brother Mort, a right-handed pitcher, was a three-time 20-game winner and three-time NL All-Star.

Ernie Lomabardi - Ernesto Natali Lombardi (April 6, 1908 – September 26, 1977), was a catcher for the Brooklyn Robins, Cincinnati Reds, Boston Braves, and New York Giants during a career that spanned 17 years, from 1931 through 1947. He had several nicknames, including "Schnozz", "Lumbago", "Bocci", "The Cyrano of the Iron Mask" and "Lom". He was inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 1986. Baseball writer Bill James called Lombardi "the slowest man to ever play major league baseball well." The fact that he was so slow spoke to what an outstanding hitter he was. Lombardi was an All-Star for seven seasons, he hit over .300 for ten seasons and finished his major league career with a .306 batting average despite infields playing very deep for the sloth-like baserunner. He is listed at 6'3" and 230 lbs, but he probably approached 300 lbs towards the end of his career. He was also known as a gentle giant, and this made him hugely popular among Cincinnati fans.

Next up; First Basemen...
Attached Images

HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote