View Single Post
Old 05-01-2017, 02:32 PM   #71
Cusick
Hall Of Famer

Unidentified Milwaukee Brave

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball-birthdays.com View Post
I bought this as a 35mm negative from drjteeee (who did not ID the player) thinking it might be Bobby Avila in his 1959 swan song... it's not him, of course. It also doesn't appear to be anyone who ever played for Milwaukee, or who played in Milwaukee's system and then for another major league club. Based on the jersey's piping, the Braves last wore this uniform in 1962 (or spring training in '63)... the sleeve patch unfortunately isn't visible. Can anyone help me positively identify this guy?
I looked at images for all the career minor leaguers who were on Braves rosters or were Braves NRI's from 1953 through 1963 that I could. Yes, I think the Braves were still wearing their 1962 uniforms during spring training of 1963. I was unable to come up with a match with the unidentified Milwaukee Brave. There was one player out of these two groups whose photo I lack. He was pitcher Lou Slattery, a non-roster invitee with the 1956 Braves. He can't be ruled out, because no photo comparison has been made, but he was a mighty obscure guy. As best I can tell, he had no minor league career. He is not listed in baseball-reference.com. There seems to be no record of his birth date, or from whence he came. I've seen his surname also spelled as Slatery in newspaper articles.
Cusick is offline   Reply With Quote