View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #24
Kaaosaste
Minors (Double A)

(This is meant to be a two parter. The first should happen sometime in the early offseason, and the effects should happen just before the start of the regular season)

Stud Pitcher Suffers Devastating Injury

"It's probably the worst thing that can happen to a young pitcher," said coach [coach] when he learned the news: A star prospect in his system had mangled his pitching hand.
Jim Smith, the [prospect ranking] on the latest Top Prospect list was clearing snow off his parent's driveway in his home town of [home town], when the blades jammed. Before turning the machine off, he reached in to removed the blockage when the tines resumed spinning, taking two of the young man's fingers with them.
"It's just horrible," Smith said. "Baseball is my life."
It gets worse. The fingers were so badly mangled that doctor's were unable to reattach them.
Smith's future remains uncertain. Doctors seriously doubt he'll be able to resume his pitching career

then, in March/April, comes the news...

Pitching Prospect Turns Tragedy into Success

Last Winter, Jim Smith lost two fingers on his pitching hand when trying to clear a blockage from a snowblower. His return to professional baseball was doubtful.
Fast forward to the Spring. The young man has made a full recovery, despite his mutilated hand. Not only that, he's actually been able to improve on his already highly touted potential.
"The ball just jumps out of my hand. I'm able to put spin on it that never would have been possible before," and excited Smith said.
Team doctor's agree, Smith's recovery has been miraculous. "It's not something I thought' I'd ever see, but the kid has actually improved with three fingers. It's unreal."

Requirements:
Age <= 21
Work Ethic = Very High
Top Prospect

Effect:
Significant increase to stuff rating.

or

Mangled Pitcher Set to Return to Full Time Duty

Last Winter, Jim Smith made headlines when he lost two fingers clearing the blockage from a running snowblower. His return to professional baseball was doubtful.
Well, Smith has again captured the nation's heart as he has refused to give up his dream of playing in the big leagues.
"The hand, I mean, it is what it is," said Smith. "I'm just trying to go forward and I still think I have what it takes to contribute at a high level."
When asked for a comment, Smith's coach had this to say: "You gotta love the kid's heart. Most guys would have called it quits, but he battled back, and you can tell he really wants to be here."
Scouts, however, have a bleaker outlook for the once Top Prospect. Most agree that while he still has the ability to pitch, the once "can't miss" phenom has nowhere near the potential he once used to.

Requirements:
same

Effects:
Significant decrease to control potential
Kaaosaste is offline   Reply With Quote