View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #5
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan34 View Post
I know this is a broad question, but I was wondering what some of you look at in terms of things like (among others) building your team, setting your lineups/rotations, drafting, league settings, etc. in order to build a winner in OOTP13. What types of players/ratings do you look for? What kind of coaches do you prefer? How do you manage your minors? I threw out some example questions, but feel free to leave this question open to interpretation and answer however you like
For me I always try to build my team to match my stadium. Right now I am playing I Wrigley Field aka WGN Field. Wrigley favors right handed power hitters as Wrigley has not had a left handed hitter hit moire then 29 HR in decades. I did an inaugural draft so it was a little bit easier, but 3 of my 5 SP are ground ball sinker pitchers. I have good right handed power at my corner positions and my C. CF, SS,2B are my speed defense guys. Other then myself as the manager at excellent the rest of my coaches are average. I have won with the rest of the coaches being inexperienced, so I don't place high value on coaches except my scout. My scout is excellent overall his strength being minor leagues. I also am overly trade happy.
Playing day to day I check the waiver wire and put in claims on anyone i think can strengthen my team. I also shop a player at least once a day especially upcoming FA's. Right now I am dead last in budget and payroll but playing in Chicago with Oprah as my owner I am expecting that to change.
I find it is too easy to win in OOTP even with no custom players. Right now I am 18-13 but I expect to be .500 for the year. I have 3 20 yr old SP with 5 star potential. a 17 yr old starting C with 10 power potential. My minors are stacked with MR help and middle IF. I do lack a backup C or C prospect and a 1B prospect.
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote