View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
soxfan34
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDurron View Post
Play the games - First of all, I have to say up front that I play out all of my games. Between wanting to take a patient approach at the plate and avoid the AI issues with reliever utilization, I'm controlling my own destiny. This has implications for my roster building strategies.

Players/Ratings - I'm looking at 3 primary factors for position players. Age, Offense, and Defense, in that order. A player with great ratings who is 34 is not worth as much as a player with good ratings at age 26, IMO. You don't want to be playing (and paying) the Geriatric All Stars. Also, don't let the offense obscure the defensive implications. You don't want to be the guy with Kevin Millar and Kevin Youkilis playing your corner OF positions because you have too many awesome hitters with no place to put them in the field.

-Within the offensive ratings, I look for contact over batting eye, because I manually force plate discipline via my manual game playing. If you sim instead, the eye rating becomes more important to you than it would be to me. The way you play must drive your roster decisions.

- Within defensive ratings, if two players have similar defensive skills, I prefer the guy ready to play 3 positions vs 1 due to the benefits of roster flexibility. It's frustrating to have a player who can play only one OF position well from day 1 due to experience when a top prospect or trade/FA acquisition needs to play that same position, and then I get stuck with learning on the fly while hurting the pitching staff for the first 4 months of the season. Using blowout games to shift players to potential future positions and/or backup positions is key here, and again goes with manually playing out my games.
This is awesome, thanks! It's tough sometimes when you want to progress your team year over year quickly, but you're right it does make more sense to play out each game if you truly want to control your own destiny.

What type of settings do you use (scouts/ageing/fatigue/etc)? In regards to fatigue, when playing out your games do you still see players getting tired and needing rest? Or do you just do this manually?
soxfan34 is offline   Reply With Quote