View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008, 04:09 AM   #10
djday45
All Star Starter

Hey. thks for the comments. Yes you are totally right that many of the fighters will be warned and penalised more and maybe diqualified as well.

The upside of this for the fighter is he will be causing more damage to his opponent as most fouls also score points now.

Secondly it depends what you want to model. Yes the era was tough and rough but I would guess in actual fact many more fighters were disqualified (especially if u go foward twenty or thirty years into the early 20th century period).

This was for two main reasons, firstly refs back then were sometimes, how should I put it? lol, Crooks! and were in the pay of one camp or other, the promoter or gambling men, later as we know organised crime moved in. So you could angle it that some disqualifications in your universe have a let me say a financial aspect to them lol.

Secondly once the fight game moved totally over to the marquis of queensbury rules and the gloved era took shape and solidified both in the publics mind and in that of the boxing fraternity there seemed to be an almost formal rejection of what went before in the form of wrestling fouls and all that unseemly side of things. This new form of skillful boxing was quickly popularised by early greats such as Corbett, Gans, and Dixon. who became much better protected from refs as they had become major draws to the public and without anything being set in stone boxing slowly moved to protect its golden boys in the ring.

my own solution especially hen playing in the 19th century is to always set your refs to lenient. This should give you the rough and tough mind set your after, but seriously start thinking about changing some refs after a few years to model the reasons I have mentioned above.

If anyone else has any comments or questions on the ratings pls feel free.
djday45 is offline   Reply With Quote