View Single Post
Old 05-25-2006, 08:32 AM   #85
bear
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin
Bear,

I should have known not to question your omnipotent knowledge. Henry Cimoli is indeed a LW. On page 20 of Chance he’s credited with fighting Willie Pep twice. On page 46 of Cold Service he’s credited with knocking Pep down once but never hitting him the rest of the fight. On page 43 of Widow’s Walk it acknowledges that Cimoli boxed as a LW and it showed in the scar tissue around his eyes and the way his nose had thickened. His T-shirt showed how muscular he still was.

Austin
Austin
When I first was reading Spenser I made the same assumption about Cimoli being a feather. We tend to forget that in the Pep/Saddler era club fighters were still in their hayday. Guys fought often and at catchweights. Pep's loss, sandwiched in between two incredible undefeated streaks, was a catchweight affair with Sammy Angott. I've never seen film of Angott but envision him as a lightweight version of Ernie Terrell with the ever so crowd pleasing jab and grab style. (For younger audiances think of John Ruiz style in a lightweight body.)

Bear
bear is offline   Reply With Quote