View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 09:47 AM   #10
Deft
All Star Starter

I thought I would chime in because I have been successful for many years without ever buying into the defense wins championships philosophy.

I just won my 7th WS and 19 division title in a row in the ATHL. It has financials and has been in existence since early 2001 (real and in game date).

This is how I have continued to win for many years in a row flipping roster after roster.

1) Trades- If I am going for prospects, I generally trade for AAA prospects only. Trade draft picks for AAA prospects of equal or similar star value (#1 overall pick for a 5 star 23 year old AAA prospect). I only make major trades and don't waste my time with minor deals.

2) Team Makeup- I have consistently one with a two ace rotation, a superior setup man and closer, and a dominant speed and power offense.
The two aces and dominant backend bullpen will get probably close to 85% of your postseason innings, so the back of your rotation is only helpful during the regular season. The dominant offense in combination with a good bullpen wins lots of close and late games during the season as your offense will pummel lesser relievers. I have often tried to secure a solid defensive SS, a good throwing catcher and a good ranged CF but I have had several 100 win seasons without them. For the other positions, like LF, 1B, RF, and 2B I ignore their defensive ratings.

This year I won with the 3rd best pitching staff (best bullpen), the 2nd best offense (1st in SB, 2nd in HR), and the second to worst defense. I have followed this approach through every version of OOTP and it has worked.

3) Contracts- Put your money on starting roster, and don't run with platoons unless you have to because of significant weaknesses. This will focus your money on a select group of top performers and you can fill your roster out with waiver players or late round draft picks developed in your organization.

4) Player aging management- For rookies and prospects, I dump them in the lineup and force them to sink or swim even if at first they struggle. If they eventually fail, I can dispose of them or lessen their role whereas, if they succeed then I have a top player for cheap for several years. If I gradually introduce them, they tend to slowly develop and my time with a good bargain for a players is used up. For older players it depends on your league. Some leagues are so prospect oriented that 36 year old players are worthless. If that is the case then you can load up on them for cheap to fill gaps. If it is the opposite then, I recommend trading 32-35 year olds for younger players.

Last edited by Deft; 05-01-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Deft is offline   Reply With Quote