View Single Post
Old 06-04-2006, 07:41 PM   #11
redmarkYankees
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Fan
With career hits you can really see that guys are playing too long. Plus some surprising names on this board. Carson Bigbee? He had some decent seasons in real life but illness and poor vision derailed his major league career. I guess they make better contact lenses in this universe.

If you are wondering about Cobb. He would have surely made the list had he not suffered a CEI in 1915. He was already over 1900 hits at that point.
Cobb had a CEI in 1915 in mine too. Maybe it's hardcoded .

I've found that a lot of players who appear to be playing 'too long' are doing so because their hitting ratings aren't declining - but their fielding ratings are. Consequently, at the end of 1937 Ruth hasn't been a starter in 4 years, but is hanging around getting pinch hits. Even the season before that, his ABs dropped markedly, presumably as he was being subbed on defense. However, his hitting ratings didn't start to decline noticeably until 1935/36, and even in 1938 are still decent (greens/yellows). Looks like the ageing curve is now a little more focused on 'creating DHs', which is realistic enough, but HOF-level players in a non-DH era/league should have the dignity to retire, or at least move to 1B.