View Single Post
Old 05-02-2018, 11:49 PM   #70
highandoutside
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by highandoutside View Post
I don't play with qualifying offers. Always seemed to me that it would add a layer of complication for the AI that would inevitably cause problems.

My problem is with the AI signing players in their early 30s to massive long term contracts. Modern GMs have finally learned this is a terrible idea. We need OOTP owners to learn this, too.
Yes, let me walk this back a bit.

I wrote the above post at work after going through an off season the night before in my fictional league. My impression was that the AI was giving some older guys long contracts with big money. Upon closer inspection, it was nearly as bad as I thought. Some of the guys I thought were in their early 30s were actually late 20s. Also, the few contracts that extended to age 37 and 38 weren't necessarily massive, and they were given out by teams that generate a ton of revenue. I think these teams overpaid for players that are declining; but they are still productive players and the franchises that paid the salaries have lots of excess cash.

So, in short, I probably overstated the problem. In fact, the more I'm studying the signings, I'm pretty impressed.
highandoutside is offline   Reply With Quote