Thread: Usage Tracker
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #52
ohms_law
Minors (Triple A)

I see a lot of talk about playing at work, here. I assume that those of you who are able to do so can generally get away with it, so I doubt that there's anything to really worry about.

However, just because the file itself doesn't contain any identifying information doesn't mean that it's being sent out does not breach your privacy, if you need it. There's obviously nothing to worry about at home (I'd hope!), but in the workplace or (especially) in a school environment you'd be well advised not to allow anything other than a browser or IT approved software to send anything at all over the network. Simply installing software on any workplace or school computer is usually something that can open you up to disciplinary action, up to and including termination or suspension of some sort. It's unlikely that the IT people will actually look at the file(s) being sent, but outgoing traffic like this sets off big, blaring alarm bells to IT managers who pay attention to it (regardless of what port it's being sent on. They look at the packet headers, which include much more than the port number).

Trust me, I've worked in and with plenty of IT departments. Don't install anything on work or school computers, but if you do don't let anything go on the network. Quite a bit depends on the head of the IT department, but don't risk your job or academic status for a game. This has very little to do with OOTP's actual tracking data, it's simply realizing that you have absolutely no privacy at work (or school, for that matter). If you don't personally own the computer then everything you do can and its being tracked and watched by your superiors.