View Single Post
Old 08-29-2019, 02:51 PM   #3
vrobx1
Hall Of Famer

We talked about the baseball team at Industrial High School. The Cobras! I thanked Coach Grymes for being the leader of our team as well as the Industrial school board for reinstating baseball as a UIL sport in 1983.

“Without that, we would not be having this conversation,” I said.

“You shouldn’t be having this conversation anyways,” a deep male voice boomed into the newsroom.

Larry Cook was one of the minority owners of the Jackson County Herald-Tribune. A member of the Edna school board, owner of his own insurance company and outstanding member of the Edna Chamber of Commerce.

An all-around spoiled rich kid a-hole!

Larry’s son, Stephen, was a member of the Edna High School Class of ’85. A pitcher with a bazooka for an arm, he could have been a high-round draft pick as well. But, Stephen was not interested in becoming the next Nolan Ryan. He wanted to be the next Roger Staubach.

Like most young boys in Jackson County, Stephen Cook wanted to be a football star. But not just any football star. He wanted to be the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys! So, he accepted a scholarship to play quarterback for Stephen F Austin State University rather than play baseball. I had met Stephen a couple of times. The apple fell far from the tree with him. He never exhibited the entitled attitude his father possessed. He was pursuing a goal that made him happy. He had no animosity or jealousy towards me.

But the problem was. Being a scholarship football player at Stephen F Austin State University did not get him the media attention that being a first-round pick in the MLB Draft was getting me. And that made his father furious!

Larry Cook leaned close and nearly spit the words out of his mouth. “I promise you! This article will never see print in this paper.”

I shrugged. But, Karen was visibly hurt by this proclamation. He wasn’t just being towards me. He was stealing a part of her dream as well.

We let the jerk storm off into the editor’s office and slam the door before continuing.

“Where do you go now?”

“They are assigning me to a team in Niagara Falls.”

“Niagara Falls? Really? I want to go to Niagara Falls?”

I laughed. “I’m not there to see the sites. I have work to do.”

And, indeed I did. As soon as the Fourth of July holiday passed, I was on a plane headed to Niagara Falls.
vrobx1 is offline   Reply With Quote