View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
shawa666
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Hough View Post
Do minor league teams sign undrafted feeder league free agents to help fill out their rosters? Or would they have to be signed by a major league team first and then assigned to the minors?

I'm interested in constructing a league with a major junior baseball system in Canada, similar to the major junior hockey system that exists in real life. Unfortunately, feeder leagues cannot function in the way that major junior and college hockey teams do. In both cases, players can be drafted once they reach 18, but they can choose to keep playing at the collegiate level or they can be assigned to continue playing for their junior team until they reach the age limit or are ready for the NHL. In the case of junior players, they can even attend pre-season training camps and be returned to their junior teams. Players don't lose their collegiate or junior eligibility or playing time by being drafted.

But none of this is possible in OOTP. So it seems like my only option would be to create a feeder league to represent a national system of major junior baseball in Canada. But that's what leads to my question.

I'd have to set a fixed age for players to finish their feeder league career, and that number would need to be 18 or maybe 20. Players could be created and begin playing at the age of 16, much as they do in junior hockey. Once they reach the age limit, they'll be drafted or go into free agency. So what happens if they're undrafted and a major league team doesn't sign them? Can a minor league team sign them? Or do they disappear or retire after going unsigned?

Is there anything I'm missing or that I should consider in trying to construct a junior system that would feed talent to the majors and minors? Are there any tricks I could use to get my system closer to the real life major junior hockey system than I think is possible? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
As any other draft eligible player, if they go undrafted, they're free agents.
shawa666 is offline   Reply With Quote