View Single Post
Old 02-22-2019, 10:46 AM   #2
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

Searching for Migas with Boogie Barnett
Posted by Boogie Barnett on Tuesday, March 28th, 2045

I’ve never authored a blog. I’ve not written anything of note in paragraph form. I was a decidedly average essayist in college. So, this is a big responsibility. One that I am unqualified to tackle.

When I was offered a prince’s first cousins sum to write a blog for this highly regarded (depending on who you talk to) Orlando focused alternative newsweekly, I thought it was a bad idea. When I was told that it is to be a critical component of adding sports coverage to the current format, I thought the bad idea was starting to sound worse. When I was given 24 hours to decide if I would take the gig, I left 23 hours and 55 minutes on the table. Yes. Of course, yes. I play baseball, I’m good at failing. I do it for a living.

For my first post, our editor suggested that I put a league preview together. As good a suggestion as an editor of a newly created baseball blog can make, I suppose. Unfortunately, for both of us, after two years of major league service, I still don’t know enough about the teams in the league (or their current make-up) to put together a proper preview. If that’s your bag, I suggest you peruse a league preview on pretty much any national sports website. I did this and found out that the Fayetteville Woodpeckers will repeat as champions of the We Majors. I also found out, as I dug deeper into the preview, that they will accomplish this because they have the best players. Talent wins championships, it said. And they do have some prime talent. Take their ace, for instance, Sam Spurling, 35 years young, 11-time all-star, 4-time champion, and he’s won two hurler of the year awards for good measure. He sports a precisely manscaped goatee, which I am sure the ladies of Fayetteville love. In 2033, he threw a 12 K, 4BB no-hitter against Springfield. In short, he’s formidable.

What it didn’t say is that it takes more than talent to win a baseball game. You’ll need a good pair of cleats and a high-quality cup that was solidly constructed by a reputable sports equipment manufacturer.

Coming up next week: As you know, we are headed to New Orleans for our season-opening series. We are going by bus. I called shotgun, but our bench coach told me, “there’s no shotgun in baseball”. So - I’ll be in the back with the riff raff again. I’ll tell you about the trip, share some thoughts on our opening stanza, and talk a lot more shop than I did this time.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
pauwoo is offline   Reply With Quote