View Single Post
Old 02-17-2016, 02:02 PM   #94
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
Is there anyway to have players drafted from any year but with their full career stats. Like not having Cy Young come in at 1872 with stats from 1890-1902 showing 351 wins. Looking to have Cy Young come in at 1872 with his full 512 wins and rated on his full career.
Like David Watts said, if he shows up in the inaugural draft, you won't get what you want. If he shows up in any other rookie draft, he'll be the fresh faced 23 year old (or sometimes even 22 year old, depending on your settings) that he was when he showed up in 1890 with the Cleveland Spiders. Regardless of what age he is in the inaugural draft, he will show 0 wins in his career because while the game treats him as if he has 13 years of service time (in your example) for the purposes of finances and the like, in your game he has yet to pitch so he has zero stats. Think of it as if he logged 13 years of service time somewhere else before he got to your league, but they didn't keep track of the stats too well. He gets credit for the years logged, but not the stats accrued. Capiche?

It is a bit of a bummer having all-time greats show up in your inaugural draft half way through their careers, but remember the void will always be filled by someone else. For example, Ken Griffey Jr. showed up in my inaugural draft at age 23, along with his dad who was also 23 (talk about strange happenings in the space-time continuum ). His dad proceeded to outplay him, and as a result neither one will be going to the HoF. Weird I know, but in the very same inaugural draft, a 20-year old second baseman named Tillie Shafer showed up. He of the four career seasons IRL with 212 career hits and a .273/.366/.360/.725 slash line, good for a 105 OPS+, and a 111 wRC+. He proceeded to put in a 25 year career with 3,022 hits and a .282/.372/.399/.772 slash line, good for a 119 OPS+ and a 121 wRC+, and just sailed into the HoF with 92.5% of the vote on the first ballot.

One very important note that I just remembered. You do not have the option to retire players when they retired IRL with random debut, so it's important if you play with recalc on to also play with player development on, otherwise guys might hang around forever, especially the ones who retired when they were still very good. I play with 3 year double weighted (for the current year) recalc, and default player development settings. Sometimes this results in ugly crashes, like what happened to Clayton Kershaw in my game after three straight Cy Youngs to start off. He absolutely crashed and burned. There's no other way to put it. Then again, you get to learn about nobodies who you never would've heard of, like Tillie Shafer, so there's good and bad to it.

Last edited by actionjackson; 02-17-2016 at 02:27 PM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote