View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #18
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward1 View Post
what's the problem with scheduling it manually? shouldn't be a big hassle to schedule 31 games or so. Of course stats will be saved to either postseason or regular season but that's a minor issue with so few games being played. I'd save them to postseason so you can see during the tournament's duration who is carrying their teams cup runs. I think I might add this into my world next season as well!
I'm thinking about scheduling it manually, and I have a bit of time before I have to worry about how to do that, but there are a few things that create a challenge for me:
  • I have 92 teams in my league, and the Cup tournament I am envisioning will be best of 3 wins in the first two rounds, and best of 7 in subsequent rounds. So we're talking about anywhere from 244 games (if all rounds are sweeps) to 397 games (if all rounds go the distance). That's a lot of manual games to schedule.
  • Because they are all "best of" series, I need to keep a real close eye on the thing to make sure that rounds that have already been decided don't play additional games. This becomes more challenging in best of 7 series, and a slip up becomes a lot easier with more moving parts.
  • I definitely do NOT want to lump these stats in with regular season or playoff stats. It may be a minor issue to you, but it's a major deal to me, because i have a complex dynasty that I've spent way too much time on to punt on this point. Also, I already have playoff rounds planned for the league at the end of the season, and I don't want to pollute those stats with Cup stats. They are separate animals. If the game keep running stats for Exhibition games that would help a ton. I'm almost certain it doesn't, though, because exhibition games are practically by definition throwaway games.
Don't take me the wrong way, I'm not pounding you here. These are good thoughts.

P.S.: You know what might help me with my stats issue and solve a lot of the problem for me? Creating one additional type of game in the manual scheduler: Tournament (in addition to Regular Season, Spring Training, Exhibition and Playoff Game). Markus wouldn't have to code an entire bracket-oriented tournament structure to help me, but adding one more game type and allowing us to keep stats just for that game type, I think, would solve maybe 75% of my challenge.

What would solve another 10 or 15 points of the problem for me would be to allow us to manually schedule "best of" series in the manual scheduler versus a set number of games. This way I could say, manually schedule tournament games in a best of seven format over these next seven days. I could then manually handle the bracketology myself.
chucksabr is offline   Reply With Quote