View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #61
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Class of 1973, Hitters: Drew, Aikens

I got fired again. I'm really good at that aspect of the game. I am going to sim 30 seasons before taking over a team, again.

---------

Four players enter this year, two hitters and two pitchers.

-----------

Stephen Drew, not J.D., gets in as the Selection Committee goes to the leader boards for both batters entering this year.

The Committee was embroiled in a great debate on this one. It came down to Drew, who gets in because he is 9th All-Time on the triples list with 229 vs a player who would have been the first to get in on his first year of eligibility who was 9th on the slg% all-time list. That player was 8th before the 1972 season was played, and would have gotten in instead of Drew had he maintained that 8 spot.

Instead, I went to random.org, errrr.....had the Selection Committee decide.

The Saberheads wanted the slg% guy because HRs are skill and triples are luck. The traditional guys asked the Saberheads if they had recently switched from crystal meth to crack. Again, the Blue Dogs were put off by the antics of both camps.

The Blue Dogs cited a letter to the Sporting News where someone wrote something about triples being more valuable than HRs in the era Drew played (1900-1915) and went with the Traditional guys on this one.

Stephen Drew becomes the latest active player in RL to be inducted. A late 2nd rd draft pick, he gets a Phil Rizzuto induction, of sorts. Let's just say he was a good guy...Like Rizzo, he was the shortstop for a dynasty that won multiple WS titles.

Drew played in 4 WS between 1902 and 1910, and was on the winning team each time. The only other HOFer from those teams is Braggo Roth. By the time 1902 rolled around, Roth was pretty much a platoon player, so Drew was really the constant on those teams. Perhaps more like Derek Jeter than Rizzo, in some ways.

But, his offense was more like Rizzo. And Drew spent his career in Detroit.

261/312/385 npa OPS+ of 114 is his career line. There were no All Star teams for him to be on during these years.

Triples were his thing. He led the league 5 times, and led the league in slg% in 1901 with a .480 mark. He collected 1595 hits in his career.

A late second rd pick, Drew is a floor breaker, but subjectively I find him legitimate. Jeter and Rizzuto were surrounded by HOFers. Drew was not. Being the SS on 4 title teams is more meaningful than numbers in a spreadsheet, the Blue Dogs agreed.

Black Ink: 8
Gray Ink: 43
HOFm: 29
HOFs: 20 (lowest in the Hall)

ADD: With the induction of Drew the top 10 placeholders in the triples category are all in the HOF. No active players or recently retired players amongst the top 10, and all in. The top 10 players in career doubles and career stolen bases are also all in the HOF.

--------------

Willie Aikens was somewhat surprising. I thought he would get in through the traditional method. All other players with 400 HRs in their career have gotten in. He came up short, there, but he was 43rd on the All-Time VORP list, the highest of any eligible player. The highest player on the WAR list was also at 43. Aikens was higher on the WAR list than the other player was on the VORP list, so he gets the nod.

Meshing RL and the parallel universe, for a moment....In RL he played for the Royals when a local boy named Rush worked for the team. Aikens was a big star and Rush was just a low salaried worker bee.

Years later, Rush Limbaugh was an entity worth more than than the Kansas City Royals and Willie Aikens was in prison. Limbaugh has sent letters and vouched for Mr Aikens during his legal troubles, in part, because years before Willie Aikens treated the Limbaugh kid well.

Rush Limbaugh's theme music is "My City Was Gone" by The Pretenders with the catchy hook "way...to...go...O-Hi-o". The Presidential election is just around the corner, and the eyes of the world will be looking at Ohio in a few days, and where did Aikens play his parallel universe career? All of it?? Cleveland.......gotta love it. Wishing the RL Willie all the best.

From 1948 through 1963, Aikens played in what was, generally, a ball park that heavilly favored pitchers. Gosh, I would like park adjusted OPS+ for this....but, I don't have that....what Aikens did put out was an npa OPS+ of 133 in a pitchers park. Actual OPS+ easily over 140.

In 2277 games Aikens collected 418 HRs amongst his 2108 hits. He drove in 1376 (38th) RBI while posting a slash line of 267/360/470.

In 1952 he hit .290 with 31 HRs to take the league MVP award. He never played in a WS....he was playing for Indians, after all....

Black: 4
Gray: 147
HOFm: 64.5
HOFs: 35

Last edited by VanillaGorilla; 11-01-2012 at 06:39 PM.
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote