View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 06:01 AM   #34
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Class of 1955, Hitters: Bell, Molitor, Campaneris, DeLancey

Buddy Bell has the most hits of any eligible player that was not in the hall with 3187. He won 17(!) Gold Gloves at 3rd Base, but still couldn't get in until he was eligible for consideration using the Veteran Standard. He came very close previously to getting in before his Veteran eligibility, but in his first year of Veteran consideration, he gets in easily.

Bell was the 4th player drafted in 1914 and won ROY in 1915. He played through the 1935 season. He appeared in 5 WS with the New York Giants, with whom he spent his entire career, and won 3 times.

The real question regarding Bell is why a guy with this many GGs, WSs and hits not no brainer for the process...er...Committee....

In his 22 seasons he hit 166 HRs and posted a line of 287/335/404. This only scored a npr OPS+ of 104.

His best OPS+ season was his rookie year where his 321/369/414 equalled a nps OPS+ of 134. Only one other season did he get within 10 OPS+ points of that, and that was a 124 in 1918.

Of his 18 seasons with 100 games played, 5 of them he was under 100 for npa OPS+, and these were scattered throughout his career, not just a function of age. 3000 hits and 17 GGs should get you in the HOF, but maybe in some cases it is right to have the VC make the call.

Black Ink: 13 (2)
Gray Ink: 180 (33)
HOFM : 116.5 (60)
HOFs : 49 (30)

-----------------

Paul Molitor gets in by virtue of his HOFs number being above the Hall average.

Molitor batted .302 from 1929 through 1949, collecting 2692 hits while posting a npa OPS+ of 118.

He won 2 GGs at 2nd base, and was a 4 time All Star. He didn't get to a WS until 1942, but then appeared in 4 straight, and won three times with a dominant Tiger team. He was traded to the White Sox and found his way on 2 more winning WS teams, though he was by then a part time player.

Black: 9 (24)
Gray: 184 (145)
HOFm: 121 (166)
HOFs: 52 (59)

------------------

Bert Campaneris finds his way into the Hall to join teammates Dan Brouthers, Nap Lajoie, Tris Speaker, Pablo Sandoval, David Wells, and Hippo Vaughn from what was the most dominant franchise over 25 years, the turn of the century Philadelphia Quakers/Phillies.

Though he is last in, Campaneris entry on the Veteran Standard is deserving. He won 8 GGs as shortstop for these teams.

He carried a .281 average while collecting 2477 hits from 1906 through 1922. He ranks second on the All-Time SB list with 1026, 13 behind the leader, Hans Lorbert.

Black: 27 (18)
Gray: 177 (63)
HOFm:102 (76)
HOFs: 36 (27)

-------------

Campaneris was the last player on the hitter spreadsheet. It's entries has been greatly reduced over the past few classes. When the players on the sheet run out, I go to the leaderboard. I alternate between highest eligible player on either the VORP and WAR boards or career leader in any category. If the turn is for career leader and there are no eligible players that are career leaders, I will take the player that ranks highest in a category other than VORP/WAR.

When I first looked at the VORP and WAR lists I found Brett Lawrie, who would be a first in the HOF for someone who made his debut IRL in 2011. So I am thinking the floor is breaking since I have had to go to the leaderboard.

As I tabulated his numbers I wondered if I had somehow overlooked putting him on the spreadsheet in the first place, because he has numbers to get in the Hall. The floor is not breaking! Then I realized that on the leader list, it lists his last year played in the Majors. Lawrie stuck around into the 1953 season in the minors so he is not eligible.

Bill DeLancey ranks 13th on the career WAR list. He is the highest placing eligible player. He is not the highest placing eligible player on the VORP list, but that player is 32nd, over there, so his 13th slot gets him in. Delancey ranks 62 on the career VORP list.

And the floor is breaking.

DeLancey is the first player to get into the Hall with 0 Black Ink points. Unless I missed someone, Mickey Cochrane was the first RL player to get in with 0 Black Ink. Both are catchers.

DeLancey's career numbers by the Hall metrics, are the lowest of any inductee, and quite a bit lower than Hans Lorbert's, who was the previous outlier on the low end.

It is in this time period IRL is when Rabbit Maranville and Ray Schalk got in.

It is the point of this model to approximate the inequities of the RL HOF, and yes, there are better players available than DeLancey who are not in, but Delancey gets in. And it is argued that there are only 12 other players that did more to help their team win than him.

What this opens up is the "Well, if DeLancey is in, then you have GOT to let So and So in!" This is exactly what happens in Real Life, and Delancey's entry will lead to others getting in that might have otherwise not.

DeLancey was the first pick of the third rd in 1891. He played 2086 games at Catcher, 5th all-time. He is 2nd in runners thrown out, all-time, and also second in Zone rating.

From 1892 to 1911 he collected 2065 hits while posting a slash line of 274/355/372 for a npa OPS+ of 116.

hmmmm..that actually looks quite good for a catcher...maybe the Saberheads found their way into the Selection Committee 50 years early, here.

Now that I look more at DeLancey...if Ray Schalk can be in the Real Hall of Fame, then Bill DeLancey belongs in this one, because DeLancey's career here is better.

Black: 0 Schalk Black 0
Gray: 23 Schalk Gray 4
HOFm: 107 Schalk HOFm 56
HOFs : 34 Schalk HOFs 25

Last edited by VanillaGorilla; 10-16-2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: * correction
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote