View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #7
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Class of 1939, Batters, Part 1 - Kauff, Campbell Gehrig

1939 is a big class with 6 hitters and a pitcher entering the Hall. Things slow down here with the manual tabulation of the metrics. With over 300 hitters in the spreadsheet, and over 90% of them not screened previously, a stall is unavoidable.

The standards for the Hall are the highest in its earliest days. A lot of "No"s and near misses occur before I find one that meets the current standards. I go strictly by the numbers in the categories I outlined. The standards will fluctuate with each added class, but the method used will be constant.

-------------

After the inaugural class, Bennie Kauff becomes the first first-balloter. He retired after the 1938 season (the waiting period is not yet in effect) having begun his career as the first pick in the 1915 draft. I have scouting set on low. The scouts RARELY miss on first picks, even at this setting. And Kauff was not a miss.

He retires as the all time hit leader with 3778 and the career leader in total bases. He stole 886 bases, 8th all-time, and holds the single season mark of 134.

He is one of 11 players to have hit 3 HRs in one game. To give an idea of that feat's rarity, there have been 69 cycles hit. Kauff has one of them, also.

7 MVPs, 3 GGs, 2 WS, and an All-Star Game mark his resume which began with the Rookie of the Year. There were no All Star games from 1900 through 1933, otherwise, who knows what sort of standard he would have set.

Black Ink 84 (23)
Gray Ink 379 (113)
HofM 335 (51)
HofS 79 (25)
-----------------------

Vin Campbell is the first player that is entered on the Veteran's standard. From 1885-1904 he had 2787 hits and stole 794 bases. He was an 11 time All-Star (I allowed for AS games prior to 1900 in order to allow for point accumulation for HoFM to sightly balance out the short seasons limiting career accumulation of numbers for that era).

Campbell was taken 2nd in the 1884 draft. He won 3 GGs and an MVP. He appeared in 2 WS, winning 1.

Both Kauff and Campbell were selected by the program as HOFers. Kauff entered on the first look given to such players and was entered because his B/G ave and his Hof M/S ave were above the average of the 7 members already in the Hall. Campbell did not, but when his turn came up for a look later, both of those numbers were within the margin I have set for players retired for 20 years to enter.

Black Ink 49, Gray Ink 242, HofM 220.5, HofS 50

-----------------------

Lou Gehrig is the first player entered that the program did not enter using the default setting.

I started the league with the 1879 season. A 24 yo Gehrig was the first player selected in the inaugural draft. He retired with 1406 hits and 116 home runs. Even with these low league totals he got in without using the Veteran Standard. His Black Ink number was better than the Hall average.

Consider he led or co-led the league 7 times in games played with numbers of 126, 113, 112, 98, and 84 (3x). To look at 1400 hits from those season structures in the same way as from 154 or 162 game schedule would be completely ridiculous.

In 1888 Gehrig hit 26 HRs during a 154 game schedule. It was not until 1921 that anyone hit more HRs in a season.

Gehrig led the league in HRs four times. He won 2 MVPs, 6 GGs, and was an 8 time All Star. He won 2 WS in 4 appearances.

Black Ink 70 (75)
Gray Ink 232 (315)

HoF Monitor 105 (352)
HoF Standard 23 (72)

ADD: Real Life parallel, Gehrig enters HOF in the same year as RL.

Now to get the next three.....

Last edited by VanillaGorilla; 09-14-2012 at 08:02 AM.
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote