View Single Post
Old 10-23-2019, 01:58 PM   #12
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

I am more tortoise than hare in this regard.
(Okay, off subject but kind of funny story. My college nickname was Murray the Passionate Jewish Turtle. My name isn't Murray nor am I in fact Jewish, but I suppose I am passionate while also having a slow persistence and some physical resemblance to a turtle. And an interest in Judaism.)

My primary fictional league, the W.P. Kinsella league (WPK) started with the 1965 season (which I started sometime late 2017/early 2018) and is now at the end of July 1974. But like Westheim said, I will "continue it until either I die or the save dies."

So I haven't gone deep into the future (really, still in our past, though it's a fictional past) but what I am enjoying at this stage of the league is how well OOTP mirrors real-life baseball. And by that I mean that the range of player career outcomes is so realistic. I have seen players who quietly put up fine season after fine season as they put together near HOF careers, other players who shine brightly early on only to fade in their late-20's, superstars who play at a high level well into their mid-to-late 30's and are sure HOF'ers (I am fortunate to have 2 of these type guys on my team), veteran starting pitchers who roller-coaster from rough season to great season to mediocre season, etc. I have seen very talented young players forced out of the game early due to serious injury or life choices. I've seen later round draft picks develop into stars and first rounder can't-miss prospects miss. I've had a player on my team go from a good little back-up outfielder for several years to suddenly winning a batting title at age 30. I've seen the dominant closer of his generation, who is also one of the most hated players in the game and a serious clubhouse distraction, help teams to championships but always wear out his welcome soon.

The further I go in my WPK universe, the more I fall in love with it. And the more I play OOTP, the more I love it. Such a great and addictive game.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote