Thread: Managing games
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2019, 10:18 PM   #14
DaBears
Major Leagues

I also play out every game using one-pitch on offense and defense, unless the situation is one where I feel I can impact the game as manager (runner with speed on, so may hit/run or steal base; other team has a speedster on 1B and may steal; etc.).

Playing out games as manager gives you a depth in the game that you won't get simming. That said, OOTP gives you a lot of ways to get immersion - it just depends on what you want to be immersed in. The people that seem to be into playing out games typically like to know the major league players really, really well, don't have a ton of interest in the minor league system, and are more into the strategy of in-game moves than that of building a team. That's a generalization, but seems somewhat on.

Players that are into the entire organization, trades, etc. typically seem to like simming or only playing out certain games. I get that, because while I would love to take over something like the Tigers and try to build them into a winner, it would be a form of masochism to manage every game for them between here and even a slight chance of competing.

As others have said, it takes anywhere from 20-35 minutes to play out most games. I used to actually keep score, but that puts you more at 45-50 minutes per game and does make the season drag a bit. I play one game per day (most days) Monday to Friday but usually knock out a couple per day over the weekend. I will occasionally do three on a weekend day if I'm really into it. I do keep a spreadsheet that I fill in after each game or the next day at lunch, which allows the depth I want of understanding not only my players but the team overall. I find that OOTP does a great job of stats on players, but do not like how it handles team stats as well. Thus, I keep my own format. Works for me.
DaBears is offline   Reply With Quote