View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #57
blueturf
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftdr View Post
My question was if you had created a different map than you have on the forums. I noticed you have a pile of towns in the game and didn't know if there was another map. I love the one you have created and keep it up in the background to get a feel for where things are. I've also decided that Hinsdale & Ladera are going to be bitter rivals due to thier proximity to each other and Hinsdale being so large of a city.

Anyway, thanks again for making this available and the map I have is excellent but I didn't want to be missing out on something if it was already created...
The only map there is at this point is the mashup of SimCity screenshots that is on the forum here. I have long wanted to do a more detailed map using Greenfish Relief or some other type of road map but haven't had time to do so.

This universe has existed in some form since OOTP3 and it was originally a country located in the Pacific Ocean between Hawaii and Japan. That is why many of the team nicknames have some type of airbase related theme and the name file originally included a heavier influence of Japanese names.

It eventually became easier to suspend belief that Kalama was a completely different country, removed from our Earth. (This allows me to create a narrative in my head where the primary mode of travel is by train, but still have a world where e-mail or other modern comforts are also prevelant. I still haven't found a logical explanation why the majority of players on a high school team come from varying hometowns.) The extra cities were added to create players from many different hometowns and I like it when I find a superstar that comes from a town with a population of just over 1000. Currently, I have been playing the game as an observer only - I approach the universe as a beat writer from Dagger Falls. I focus on the local high school team, follow our "local" KPL team at Ladera in depth and keep an eye on the rest of the KPL. I also shortlist any former Dagger Falls high school players and follow their professional careers which keeps me up to date on the KIA and the KPL.

When the game added Lat and Long to the world file, I chose to use coordinates in the middle of the Pacific once again, hoping that the feature where some players sign free agent contracts to play close to home would be utilized. Now you can use Google Earth and with the Lat/Long coordinates get an idea of where the cities are located in relation to other cities. Here is an image of the 56 high schools. (Unfortunately, some of the larger towns do not have high schools)

You can use this image along with the original map to get an idea where some of the towns are located. You could get even more detail by using Google Earth to list all players in a specific league, but that gets a little busy.

Last edited by blueturf; 07-17-2012 at 06:08 PM.
blueturf is offline   Reply With Quote