View Single Post
Old 02-12-2007, 05:10 PM   #16
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeePride View Post
I hate to see him go, as well. My favorite player growing up. Great run to see him rise through the ranks.

I only imagined it'll take a few years officially because initially I thought the Yankees would want to unveil it along with the unveiling of the New Yankee Stadium.

But, now that I think about it, it would make more sense to do it in 2008 with the Stadium closing down and leave 2009 to celebrate the new stadium.

Obviously, they'll unofficially retire it by not giving anyone the number 51.
One thing is for certain - The opening ceremony for the new Stadium will be a sight to behold. One can easily imagine all the Yankee greats, past and present, participating in a massive on field ceremony. The roll call alone will be awe-inspiring.

When other new ballparks open the fans are lucky if they're treated to a cheesy fireworks show and free nachos. The opening of the new Yankee Stadium, however, will be truly historic, and tantamount to the christening of a new cathedral, or a great new ship.

I can't wait.