View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical Mass View Post
I haven't been on the forums in about a year, so I'll fill you in on what was going on a year ago:

- People were complaining that OOTP13 wasn't out by Opening Day
- People were complaining that Markus was spending too much time on iOOTP rather than OOTP13.
- Lots of griping about how people weren't going to buy OOTP13 (including myself) because lots of things weren't updated from OOTP12 or even OOTP11.

Here's what happened since then:

My friend got tired of me raving about how great a game it was, and purchased it himself. After he played himself into a coma, I asked if I could simulate my own season using his copy of OOTP13 and laptop. He said yes.

I started a brand new league from scratch, and simulated 20 seasons. I then took over the worst team (Cincinnati Reds) which had an Demanding owner who was a Mizer, and set the trading AI level to the hardest. I was impressed with the new graphics, but held my breath.

- After some wheeling and dealing, the first season I went over .500. The second season I played, I was over .700 and made the playoffs. The third season I won the championship. I made the playoffs 10 of out the next 10 seasons, finished first in the division each year, and won the championship 6 out of those 10.
- Coaches that were 64 years of age had 57 years of experience coaching.
- Guys with horrible ratings in Contact, Power, Eye, fielding, etc were hitting .310 with 40 HRs, 120+ RBIs.
- Clicking on "Batting Stats" still shows Pitchers. Clicking on "Pitching Stats" still shows batters.
- Sometimes a year went by with minor injuries. Other times, you'll lose 5 guys in one week. At one point, I had 13 people on my 40 man roster on my DL at once. That's a little extreme.
- The AI was still starting guys at a position even though they had a "4" rating at that position, despite the fact that there were better people available.
- Offers were made to Free Agents and/or Coaches who one day were at "Favors Offer" and the next day they signed with another team without notice, or a chance to increase my offer.
- And a new one I noticed: While I was waiting for a coach to accept or decline an offer, THE COMPUTER WENT AHEAD AND SIGNED A RANDOM COACH TO FILL THE SPOT WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE AND WITHOUT NOTICE! Now I have to fire the coach (and eat his 3 or 4 year contract) just to hire the one I want, assuming he's still available.
- After 30 years of baseball, there are over 1,500 people on the Free Agent List. It seems like either they're reproducing like jackrabbits, or else they're never retiring.
- Despite allocating the maximum amount of money to International scouting, my scout will go one or two seasons without "discovering" anybody, and then when he finally does, his Overall Assessment of the player is "The outlook is bleak". THERE ARE 1,500 PLAYERS AVAILABLE WHOSE OUTLOOK IS BLEAK! WHY AM I PAYING YOU TO GO OVERSEAS TO FIND MORE??? Why is he recommending I sign bums??
- Come to think of it, why will the scout draft someone in the 1st round whom he doesn't think will amount to much, but, yet, he thinks someone he drafted in the 4th round will be a stud? If he thinks the guy stinks, why did he draft him in the 1st round? I would think that if HE recommended them, that he at least THINKS they will ALL be decent! Why draft a guy and then tell me he stinks?
- And while we're on the topic of scouting, why is it that if your available funds drops too low, your scouting budget is dropped to the bare minimum without notice, and by the time you discover it, Spring Training has started and it's too late to change it?
- Why is it if you take a retired pitcher and turn him into a coach, he'll have a better rating at hitting than at pitching? And that isn't saying much, because his hitting rating is "OK"...

Most if not all of these things were brought up prior to last OOTP13 release. I'm sad to say that IMHO, the fears of a lot of people were realized last year: New graphics were added and it looked prettier, but simple things were overlooked, not corrected, and for the most part, OOTP13 was too much like OOTP12, and I'm glad I didn't spend my money on it. With that being said, I will still not purchase OOTP14 for the same reason.

I really want to support the franchise, but in all honesty, you're not going to trade in your 2012 car for a 2013 that has all the same features if there's nothing wrong with the old one. I'm just going to have to keep playing OOTP12 (my first version) and wait until I see enough changes (or even fixing slight little bugs like mentioned above) to warrant shelling out the money.

Sorry... just my opinion.
I'm not criticizing your complaints, however don't compare apples and oranges.

I budget $40 of entertainment money every year for OOTP.

I don't budget thousands of dollars every year to get a new car.

The comparison - they both probably only have a few new features and the current version will certainly suffice for several years.

The differences - a few thousand dollars, and, what I find acceptable for me to spend my money on each year.

YMMV
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote