View Single Post
Old 04-25-2004, 07:09 PM   #18
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Well, I played it safe and went with McMullin in the first round. The young pitcher Claussen was selected by Houston with the third pick and Samuel Williams went to Alburquerque 4th so it seems each club was on the same page with regards to the top 4 prospects.

The remainder of my draft is as follows

Round 2 - Randal Elzy. 19 year old from Grapevine, Texas. He had some great high school numbers but my scout thinks he is a bottom of the rotation starter at best.

Round 3 - Travis Mader. Another teenager from Texas, Mader has tremendous basestealing ability and a terrific defensive centerfielder. The question is will he ever be able to hit major league pitching.

Round 4 - Daniel Johnson. Another high schooler, he is 19 and hails from Jacksonville. Johnson is quick and an outstanding defensive shortstop.

Round 5 - Jason Bufford - An 18 year pitcher from Champaign, Illinois who projects as a possible major league closer.

Round 6 - Lyndon Crenshaw. Yet another high schooler, the 18 year old is a relief pitcher from Chicago. He is a project but my scouts feel he may surprise some people.

Round 7 - Dean Finchem - A 22 year old lefthander from Baytown, Texas via the University of Louisville. Finchem is a long shot to ever make my rotation

Round 8 - Thomas Hyman- Another lefthander, the 21 year old hails from Honolulu and projects as a middle reliever.

Round 9 - David Risner 21 year old CF from Kansas City. Not a lot of upside but has great speed so I figured it was worth a shot at this stage of the draft.

Round 10 - Victor Crothers 22 year old RF from Elk Grove, Illinois and the Southern Miss. I liked his power numbers in university although my scout feels he has no shot at the bigs.

After the first couple of rounds I decide to look for players that seemed to do one thing quite well. In most cases I grabbed some real speedsters and it was a nice bonus if, like Mader and Johnson, they could play some slick D. With a little luck one or two of them can develop just enough at the plate that they could be solid contributers down the road. I also drafted 5 pitchers with the hope that maybe one or two of them could develop. Time will tell.
Tiger Fan is offline   Reply With Quote