View Single Post
Old 04-25-2004, 02:35 AM   #15
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

I have the second pick in the draft and there are 4 players I am considering.

OF -David McMullin - The 22 year old hit .322 with 13 homers at the University of Arkansas. The scouts love him and project him as having middle of the order power. He gets a 78 out of 80 on future potential. Wants $2.5 million in signing bonus.

P -Tommy Clausson - A 19 year old who went 14-0 with a 0.46 era playing high school ball in Lebanon, Pa. He has a great arm and projects at a perfect 80 for potential. Asking for just $1.6 million to sign.

2B - Brad Cousin 22 year old California native who attended the University of Virginia. He hit .367 with 16 homers although the competition in his league was considered easy. Not very good defensively but a tremendous hitter. 80 out of 80 for future potential but he wants more than $3 million to sign.

2B Samuel Williams 19. The Jacksonville high school phenom hit .599 with 8 homers in just over 100 at bats. Better defensively than Cousin, although not much. When he fills out should have some real pop in his bat. Projects as 78 out of 80 and wants $1.35 million to sign.

My first thought is I want the pitcher. Visions of a rotation a few years from now anchored by Clausson, Manny Amaral and maybe a veteran Arthur Baxter seem too good to pass up. On the other hand, high school pitchers are unpredictable and I have a real need for either Cousin or McMullin and both should be ready much earlier than Clausson. Of course, Clausson or Williams would be much easier on my budget constraints. Any thoughts? You have seen my depth chart and now pretty much what I do about the 4 prospects.

I will make my pick on Sunday since it is getting late but I will end some of the suspense by letting San Francisco make the first overall pick right now.

The Seals go with California native Brad Cousin. So that leaves my choice between Clausson, Williams and McMullin. This is tough.but extremely addictive. I would like to keep going but I have to call it a night....and besides I just can't decide who to pick. I want the high school pitcher but something in the back of my mind keeps saying take McMullin he is a much safer pick and has great upside. Decisions, decisions.
Tiger Fan is online now   Reply With Quote