View Single Post
Old 10-19-2019, 01:33 PM   #36
Ruwisc
All Star Reserve

Suddenly a lot of Syracuse talk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpf515 View Post
Hey man, I'm from Cuse and used to work for the Chiefs. Something that I have always thought would be a good baseball team name for a Syracuse team is the "Salt City Miners." There used to be salt mines around here, and salt potatoes are one of the silly gimmick names used by the Chiefs/Mets for promotions. What do you think?
I did learn about the Salt City nickname when I was researching Syracuse but I think we can agree that there are some issues if we take that name to a nationwide stage. I can guarantee that very few people outside that part of the country know of the nickname, so it's confusing to outsiders. The main problem, though, is that anyone who doesn't know about Syracuse's history will, I think reasonably, assume that it's a Salt Lake City team. (SLC is still yet to come in this series - I'm taking extra care on that one because it's the team that I'm actually GMing in my game, so I need it to be one of the best.) Because of that I think it's probably fair to say that a Syracuse team, if you're going major league, needs to have Syracuse in its name. Salt City could work for a minor league franchise where attention and geography are hyperlocalized and there's no chance of there being Utah-related confusion.

Still though, I actually did take a long look at Syracuse Miners/Salt Miners before I decided on Blizzard instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post
I'm not a fan of nicknames that don't end in "s"... I would pick something other than Blizzard...just my opinion... it might be a good name for a wintertime sport, but not for the "Boys of Summer"... I'm an old-timer that prefers traditional names like Tigers, Yankees, Cardinals, etc...don't like nicknames like Power, Freedom, Eclipse, Empire, Lightning... don't like silly names like Baby Cakes, Isotopes, Biscuits or Trash Pandas, either.
There is definitely a line to be drawn as far as non-plural team names go, but I tend to think weather is an OK subject to break convention for. I had the same trepidation when working on the Omaha Thunder (almost went with Thunderbolts but it was just too long). A blizzard is one monolithic entity, something that can still be symbolic of nine players working together in harmony or whatever. It's different from naming a team after a concept like some of the ones you mention. I'm sympathetic to the tradition argument but that's not really what I'm trying to do here - I'm going for what these teams might be called if they came around today.

--------

Next team is just about done - I think I'm happy with the logos so it's just caps and jerseys to do. This is another team name I'm unsure about, but for a different reason - I'm wondering if it might tend too far towards a 19th-century type of creation. Anyway, Austin will be up sometime this weekend, I think.
Ruwisc is offline   Reply With Quote