View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
JeffR
FHM Producer

Help Wanted: Name Files

While I was getting the random name files ready (in next week, I'm hoping), I realized that they're in rougher shape than I thought. Several of them are very good, but a whole bunch are just pulled from OOTP Baseball (some of which are OK, while others are...less than OK), and there are a few that are just ad hoc mixtures of other name files.

If anyone's interested in working on them, refer back to this thread in the main FHM forum for examples of what needs to be done and the correct formats.

I'd suggest posting notice in this thread if you've started work on one, that way we won't get people working on the same things. Once you're done, just post the csv files in this thread and I'll add them to the main names file. Remember that we need separate files for both first and last names.

Here's what's needed, in order of priority and why:

Highest-priority (playable leagues):

German (uses the OOTP German names right now)
Lithuanian, Latvian, Estonian (no real Baltic name files, I've got the countries set to use mixtures of Russian, Polish, and Finnish)
Ukrainian, Belarusian, Kazakh (those three use Russian FHM names)

High priority (soon-to-be playable leagues):

Slovak (OOTP "Czech/Slavic")
Swiss-German, Swiss-French, Swiss-Italian (the Swiss files just copy the regular German, Italian, and French files)
Danish (uses FHM Swedish)
French (non-Canadian) (OOTP)
Italian (OOTP)
Hungarian (OOTP)
Croatian (OOTP)

Lower-priority (not playable soon, but the names are useful elsewhere)

Spanish (European) (OOTP Hispanic)
Belgian (mix of OOTP French and FHM Dutch)
Serbian (OOTP)
Bosnian (uses OOTP Serbian)
Romanian (OOTP)
Polish (OOTP)
Central Asian (OOTP Azerbaijani)
Australian (OOTP)
New Zealand (OOTP Australian)
West African (OOTP African)
North African (OOTP Arab)
Icelandic (FHM Norwegian)
Greek (OOTP)
Albanian (OOTP)
Portuguese (OOTP)

There are a few FHM name files I'm not entirely happy with right now, either. Russian needs cleaning up, I made the mistake of using the OOTP Russian names to start from and there are a lot of weird things in there - female names, odd spellings, and so on. The Punjabi file was rushed and doesn't have much variety. And the Native Canadian one is a single file for the whole country, so it won't make sense a lot of the time - guys from Nunavut will get Iroquois names, guys from New Brunswick will get Inuk names, and so on. If somebody could put together individual files for some of the larger native, Metis, and Inuit linguistic groups, I'd much rather use those.