View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008, 09:22 PM   #1
kq76
Global Moderator

How Much Of A Threat Will OOTP Online Be?

As soon as I first heard of this OOTP Online I was hoping it wouldn't get past even the planning stages. We don't need another ITP sucking development time away from the core game and I certainly don't think we need online leagues that require a monthly subscription fee. I guess one could argue that they could _maybe_ make bucketloads of money off of it and hire more staff to work on it and the core game, but I doubt we'd even see the former and even if we did there'd be very little, if any, incentive to improve the online league capabilities of the core game. And while it may attract a lot of people completely new to OOTP, I fear it will steal away a lot of online leaguers from existing leagues.

Now today Markus has said that not only is OOTP Online still going to happen, but that they even already have "design documents" for its 2nd version. A big "Ugg!" is all I can say to that.

What do you guys think, am I needlessly worrying over nothing (I'd probably pick B in the poll right now) or is this a genuine threat to our online leagues as we currently know them? Will most people pay 5 or 10 bucks a month to be in a league like that with some extra features yet maybe less control over things especially for the commish, or will most balk at the idea? Will many at least try it? Even if many at least try it, will it ultimately fail?
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote