Old 07-10-2019, 07:27 PM   #156
so49as
Major Leagues

Game 32 – May 14
3 – Cleveland
4 – Royals

WP – Bret Saberhagen (3-4)
LP – Calvin Santarelli (1-5)

We built a 3-run lead going into the 5th with a Baines sac fly; a wild pitch, and a George Brett single. The Indians scratched out a tie in the 6th 3 singles and a double. In the 7th, Baines hit his 6th home run of the year off Santarelli (ERA 6.19), to put us up for good.

Saberhagen closed out his own game with a 1-2-3 9th. He struck out 8 over those 9 innings.

Game 33 – May 15
8 – Cleveland
5 – Royals

WP – Mark Huismann (1-1)
LP – Dan Quisenberry (1-1)

Cleveland starter Greg LaFever, ERA 9.45 held us for 7 innings, but we got to him in the 8th with a Harold Baines solo home run, an RBI double by Dave Collins, and an RBI single by Willie Wilson, to put us up 5-2.

But, Quisenberry gave up 5 hits and a walk, and all 6 Indians scored. It was his 4th blown save of the year. Mark Huismann, (waived last year and picked up by the Indians) got his 1st win of the season.

-
It's been a good May, but many on the team are either hot or cold, not much in between. Saberhagen and Jackson have ERAs under 3, but Black and Leibrandt are all above 5.

Quisenberry's ERA is 3.86, but he's given up 27 hits in 16.1 innings, with 4 unearned runs. I think I'll give him the weekend off.

Orta, Collins, White and Sundberg are all hitting below .230.

The recent additions are playing well. Trammell is hitting .296 with 2 HR and 13 RBI. He's on pace to score 88 runs. Cooper is hitting .316, 3, 23 in his first full year with the team. He's pacing on 113 RBIs. Baines leads the team with 7 home runs and is hitting .309. He's on pace for 34 HR's and 128 RBIs, which would both be career highs.

I optioned Tony Ferreira after the game to make room for Rule V draftee Jim Deshaies. He was hurt at the end of spring training and spent a couple weeks on the DL, and 4 weeks on a rehab. He was 0-2 with a 6.83 ERA in 5 AAA starts. Not sure how long he'll last if he keeps that pace though.

-
17-16 – 3rd; 6 games behind Chicago
9-4 in May
so49as is offline   Reply With Quote