View Single Post
Old 04-16-2017, 07:23 PM   #1
Bub13
All Star Reserve

Introducing Your Hawaii Islanders!

This is my first dynasty report. It begins in 2014, from version 15 [soon to be going to version XX], and has been migrated through to version 18. Meaning this league to be a fun learning experience, I played around a bit and added myself and a few old game-playing friends. But I enjoyed the league so much, even after "the gang" went UFA and retired, that I kept it going. So let's get started.

Background
In 2014, a New Ownership Group(tm) bought the Miami Marlins and moved the team to Richmond, Virginia. Armed with a mystery group of free agents, new GM Jim Smith (me!) began to build a dynasty. Richmond won its first World Series in 2016, and won again in 2019, 2022, 2025, and 2027. You would think five titles in twelve years would please any owner...but you would be wrong. Facing demands to "build a dynasty," or "re-sign an old player who wants way too much money," or "leave me with $20 million in profits while getting a top free agent," tensions began to build between owner and GM. After a late-season collapse in 2030, in which the team went from 12 games up to barely making the playoffs and an early post-season exit, I resigned.

Looking around for a new challenge, I took on the Brooklyn Robins for 2031. This was a team that had never made the playoffs, never finished higher than fourth in their division, and obviously needed a new vision, new direction. The first year, we treaded water, only improving by one game. But we cut payroll and brought a profit for the first time in nearly a decade. The next year, 2032, saw the addition of a few free agents, some trades, and the near-impossible feat of maintaining a manageable budget. Attendance improved by 50%, and the team won 87 games, for its first ever winning season. And then...with a rebuilt pitching staff, and some big spending on retaining our best players, we were dreadful. We won 75 games, slipped in nearly every statistical category, people stopped coming to games, and -- horrors! -- lost a ton of money. After some angry exchanges with my owner, I decided it was best to move on...again. This time, tho, would be my last. Of that I was determined.

So now it's 2034, and time for another new beginning.

Before we get started, let's go over the current lay of the land.

As mentioned above, in 2014 the (old) Miami Marlins ceased to exist, and were moved to Richmond, becoming the Eagles. The Eagles remained in the NL East. In 2016, the league expanded, adding the (new) Miami Marlins in the AL East, and the Portland Hawks (now Pioneers) in the NL West. Things remained stable until 2023, when the league expanded again by two teams. Expansion brought back the Montreal Expos, into the NL Central, and a third team in New York: the Brooklyn Robins, into the NL East. To keep the leagues balanced, the Milwaukee Brewers moved back to the AL, into the Central. Finally, to bring us up to the present, in 2034 MLB expanded one more time: into the NL Central went the New Orleans Zephyrs (with Richmond getting a new AAA team in Raleigh), and the AL West getting the team that brings us here, the Hawaii Islanders.

2014-2033 history, with league and Series champions

The Angels have been the cream of the AL year-in and year-out. They've only missed the playoffs six times, with only two losing seasons. Richmond has been the class of the NL, with six titles. Going into 2034, the Angels, Twins, Blue Jays, and Rays look to be the top teams in the AL. In the NL, the Pirates are the defending World Champs, and have three division titles in four years. Philly, Atlanta, and San Diego are tops in the NL, and I think Montreal is building for a long run as well.

Whos' been bad? Cleveland has never made the playoffs. Neither have the new Marlins or the Brooklyn Robins. Houston has made the playoffs just once, and last had a winning season in 2024. Colorado has only been to the post-season once. And two long-time MLB powerhouses are currently in the dumps: St. Louis is coming off seasons of 53, 60, and 64 wins, and fan interest is at an all-time low. Likewise, the Yankees, despite their astronomical payroll, have made the playoffs just once in the last ten years. Both teams are drawing less than 20K per game.

A few other facts and tidbits...
...there have been 41 no-hitters, but no perfect games. Luis 'Gambler' Cuevas pitched three for Detroit in the '20s.
...Miguel Cabrera (DET) won a Triple Crown in 2014, and Justin Williams (PHI) in 2021. Jon Talley (TB) won the pitching version in 2027, going 25-3 with a 2.40 ERA, and 287 strikeouts.
...Leonys Martin (TEX) has the longest 'new' hitting streak, at 39 games in 2015.
...3000 hit club new members: Miguel Cabrera (3518) and Joe Mauer (3000).
...A-Rod retired with 662 home runs, Cabrera with 625, Pujols with 561. Miguel Sano currently has 569...along with 3609 whiffs.
...Craig Kimbrel ended up second all-time with 605 saves. Paco Rodriguez retired at number four with 512. Paco also appeard in 1277 games, passing Jesse Orosco for first place.
...Max Scherzer (23-0 in 2016) and Stephen Strasburg (18-0 in 2025) had the first perfect win-loss seasons in history.
...Strasburg was by far the most dominant pitcher of the era. He retired #5 all-time in WAR and #4 in strikeouts:

Next up: It's 2034, and baseball is back on the islands!
Attached Images

Last edited by Bub13; 03-25-2019 at 08:52 AM.
Bub13 is offline   Reply With Quote