View Single Post
Old 07-21-2007, 04:23 AM   #8
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

June Draft

Saturday, June 16, 2007

It's the day after the draft, so I've had a moment to catch my breath. There's not a GM out there who won't tell you draft day is the most important day of the year.

We had the #21 overall pick in the draft. I normally like to use these picks on established college players, but every once in awhile, you have to mix things up. We went with Carlos Velasquez, a 17 year old first baseman. This kid is a masher... dead pull hitter with tons of power. Still needs to work on his patience at the plate, but he could be a 30 HR guy in the show.

The Royals got UCLA right-hander Dave Spencer with the #1 overall pick. Kind of a surprise pick... not a ton of upside according to our scouts, but he's a control pitcher who could crack KC's rotation in the next couple of years.

On the field, we clipped the Cardinals today, 5-4. Lenny DiNardo picked up the win, going 7.2, 8 H, 4 ER. He's now 6-4 with a 5.59 ERA on the year. We had to plug him into the rotation after Tim Lincecum went down with a strained elbow ligament a couple of days ago. He's expected to be out the next 8 weeks. It's a shame, because every day counts for him out there. So far, he's 4-4 with a 4.80 ERA, fanning 88 batters in 75 innings.

We also called up Daric Barton on June 13th. He went 1-3 today and is hitting .400 with 2 RBI so far. I can't wait to find out what the future holds for this guy. Don't want to put too much pressure on Daric, but as I've said before, he could be the real deal.

Last edited by Hendu Style; 07-23-2007 at 05:50 PM.
Hendu Style is offline   Reply With Quote